Suggestion: best practices for patching others'/older mods

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

WillyTheSquid wrote:Thanks for your reply, digdug! I agree that a dropbox link is not optimal; my gut feeling tells me most users won't scroll down the comments when downloading a mod. We could summarize this discussion on a wiki page, and also make a page (possibly add a Xelerus category) for unofficially updated player-made mods. A parallel (sticky) forum topic would also be worth considering.

Another idea: have a list of permissions on the wiki. "Feel free to use/update my stuff" or "ask permission first" etc etc -- for each user.

When this discussion has run its course, and some consensus has been reached I'm willing to make these wiki pages (& if support exists for it, a Xelerus category). And curate them for the foreseeable future.

Let me know what you all think.

Oh yeah, we had a discussion about liscenceing ahd having a selector for it on xelerus a while ago, I guess we could probably get by with xelerus categories for a couple different licences and "other" too until someone gets around to recoding xelerus >_>.

Not many modders here seem interested in specifiying ... anything, about their work, it seems ... especially the ones from a while ago ...
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Nice one. We could add licensing suggestions to the mod upload guidelines on the wiki/forum/Xelerus and encourage modders to specify them in their mods' comments or on the forum.

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

Even a mention in the readme / xml (I usually do both) would be more than what I think a lot have ended up with; and suffice for people sufficently interested to interrogate the mod.