What XML editor do you use ?

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi all,

Now that I've modded a little, I'm beginning to try to streamline my tools ^-^ And I'm wondering which XML editor do you use. I searched a little on Google and I've found XML Marker, which seems quite good. However, I've only evaluated if from a few minutes, so I still don't know how it will fare in the long run. Do you have other proposals with the same features : treeview and direct edit ?
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

the problem with xml editors is that we are not using strict xml format. Most people use a text editor like notepad++. (I use textpad)
Crying is not a proper retort!
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Betelgeuse, hi all,

Indeed as a texte editor I use Context, which is a good editor with many features. I also know UltraEdit.

But I thought an XML editor would be good for viewing a file's structure at a glance. Which is what I found with XML Marker. Btw, I didn't know you didn't use strict XML format. All the files I've tried so far are reported good under XML Marker. I tried a few others, just to see their features, and none reported any error so far.

Another pretty useful tool is BareGrep. It allows for quick and powerful searches.

Finally, I also use BeyondCompare, but this one is on my pro machine and I use it with a licence from my office since it's not free.
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Used to use vanilla Notepad, now I use Notepad2.
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi Yugi,

This reminds me that I sometimes use Notepad++ at work. I didn't know it was a derivative of Notepad2 !
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

gvim all the way.
Mutos
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi F50,

When I saw the name I thought it would be a good ol' vi derivative ^-^ And it is !
@+

Benoît 'Mutos' ROBIN
Hoshikaze 2250 Project
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

vanilla comes with Windows notepad for viewing or copy/paste work.
gvim for script writing.

Most of my xml is copy/paste and using the mouse in notepad is the easiest way to do that since I can never remember the commands to work with multiple files in vim.

For the scripting I've done I did the copy/paste using notepad then saved and quit and opened the file in gvim to do any writing. The ';' to find matching parenthesis is worth several times its weignt in gold when writing a LISP based language.