Upgradeable Wingmen in 1.6a

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Admiral Skippy
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum, I've been playing Transcendence for a while and have loved it and recently discovered the awesome mods that have been made by the community. Just wanted to take the opportunity to say thank you to George and everyone who've made such an incredible game that I've enjoyed so much.

I'll keep this brief, I have version 1.6a with the mod "The Network" installed and the latest version of UG Wingmen. To try and see if the mod was working I bought an Autosentinel auton in Eridani, as it's quite a time investment to try and get to the first wingman. It had a dock option when I talked to it and would dock but when I then docked there was no option other than the standard ones- but for all I know this is because it's an AutoSentinel.

If it won't work, does anyone have an idea of what options there would be to be able to play a game with UG Wingmen where I can also play the Network?

Thanks in advance :)
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That is because it's an autosentinel. if you want an auton that can be upgraded try the mule or 08u battle auton (found seperately on xelerus).

The procedure you described sounds more like the outdated 2.x version. The v3 procedure is different and requires flying the auton/wingman to a station like you would your own ship (if you can't dock with the auton you can't upgrade it). I just removed the dock order as it serves no purpose now.

I just tested using UGW and the network, and the mule and 08u (which inherits from the same class as the named wingmen) work as expected.
ImageImage
Thanks to digdug for the banners.
Admiral Skippy
Anarchist
Anarchist

Wow! Thank you for checking! :) The mod I've downloaded from Xelerus is "766_UGWingmenv3" which I think is the v3 version - I just pasted the entire UGW subfile inside into my extensions after extracting. I've looked inside and it seems to have a mule and battle auton xml files- there are xml files inside called "UGWingmen mule" and "UGWingmen mule", as well as wingmen, base and extras xml files. The readme talks about changes from v2 to v3 so I think it's v3.

So if I understand you- I'll be able to dock with mules, battle autons and my wingmen, and fly them to a dock like my own ship. So do I swap control of my ship to the wingman/auton to do that then, sort of like the Playership Drones mod? It's a relief to know that discovering the dock command is redundant is because it actually is and not an error!

I just wanted to say I think your mod is awesome which is why I wanted to make sure it would work. I can't wait to start creating a dream team of wingmen and autons! 8-)
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'll be able to dock with mules, battle autons and my wingmen, and fly them to a dock like my own ship
That's right. As for how your ship behaves when you aren't flying it, that depends on your ship, but will probably be quite simplistic.

sort of like the Playership Drones mod?
sort of.

I haven't actually tried Playership Drones, but from what I gather it requires your ship have docking ports and be set up for independent operation (communications element, aisettings, etc). Your old ship will behave like a drone when you switch, but not all (modded) ships are compatible. I may not be entirely correct here.

UGW operates on the assumption your original ship does not meet any particular standards at all. Consequently you can always get back to your original ship by pressing u twice to invoke an item on the new one, provided the ship still exists (possible bug here, i have an idea to fix it), but your original ship will most likely exhibit very basic ai when you are not flying it, following your new ship unwilling to take any orders including "wait".
It assumes you won't be spending longer in your other ships than you need to for the upgrades.

A bit of advice: Mules can indeed accept weapons, but get themselves killed with anything that isn't omni. A heavily armored mule with an im90 is a force to be reckoned with, able to help you in combat against weaker foes. On the other hand a heavily armored mule in sanctuary with an omni laser will do little more than draw enemy fire to itself and get itself killed.
Last edited by Bobby on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Admiral Skippy
Anarchist
Anarchist

Cool 8-) . How do I swap ships? Is it just straightforward when I dock? Thank you again for the advice. :)
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Dock with it, then select the "let me fly" option.
ImageImage
Admiral Skippy
Anarchist
Anarchist

Bobby wrote:Dock with it, then select the "let me fly" option.
So pretty straightforward then haha :D

Bobby, I just want to thank you again for your help and your awesome mod, and I have found this image to describe what a total boss you are: