How not to replace things

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
speedofsquid
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Is there a way to make minor changes to an entire non-player ship class without overriding it? For example, is there a way to equip a shield on every Centauri raider at/near creation, even if it was created as part of a random encounter?
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

the easiest way would be to just overwrite the ship in code, otherwise you would be looking at lots of code i would think
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Yes, a very complicated way.
Make a virtual station, have it check for all centauri raider ships using a recurring timer event, and equip them with something like a class I deflector.
There's a trick to have them use different weapons (I don't know it, you'll have to ask digdug for it) , and 1.06a has a bug where if you change a ship's weapon to have a different range than the previous weapon, the game crashes.
Check out Weapons Extended for an example.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. There is...but I find it easier to just over-ride stuff. You can control things better and there's less to go wrong. Unless you want a random element, when it can get a little annoying.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
speedofsquid
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting. I was hoping that I overlooked something.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Is there a way to make minor changes to an entire non-player ship class without overriding it? For example, is there a way to equip a shield on every Centauri raider at/near creation, even if it was created as part of a random encounter?
yeah, basically Weapons Extended does that + it randomises the shield (and weapon and ammo). Unfortunately to do that in an efficient way you need quite a bit of code.

In your case, if you just want a centauri raider with a different shield, you can create an identical centauri raider with the shield of your choice, then just overwrite the shiptable tbCentauriEncounters and add your new ship. Every time the game creates a random centauri encounter, it will interrogate that table :D