Converting AutoCAD into a usable 40 facing ship image

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I formed the model for my ship in AutoCAD 2011. Does anyone know an easy way to convert it to a usable 40 facing image for use?
I tried to do it manually but came up with a slight wobble, still trying to work it out.
So far it's more of a basic look I plan to add detail to and re-render.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think Psycholis was doing his ships in a CAD program as well... Perhaps he can help (or one of his old posts talks about it)
Get your own Galactic Omni Device
Get it now. It's free!!
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

For anyone reading this thread, Psycholis hasn't been on since last February and when looking for any of his mods in Xelerus I couldn't find any of his mods.
i sent him a PM just in case but I'm still looking for assistance.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Get it now. It's free!!
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

That's strange. When I did a search using him as author nothing came up.... :(

Thanks!
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I looked through the mods but it soon donged on me that although they are good renderings I needed help doing the same. No tutorial or info found in the mods on how they were done.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Have you searched the forums for posts by Psycholis?
Get it now. It's free!!
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Looking through his posts he used a different CAD program called Solidworks. I'm using AutoCAD Civil 3D.
I think I have figured out a way to do what I need to though.

For anyone else who wants to know and try it out here are the steps I am going to use.
1. Finish the model. The current model is fine and the wiggle isn't noticeable unless you're parked on a sun or other bright object.
2. Render the model at an appropriate angle.
3. Once happy with the angle rotate the model 9 degrees to the right and render the rest of the images individually.
4. Rotate all of the rendered images 90 degrees left.
5. Using IrfanView make a panoramic image using the individual renderings.
6. Rotate 90 degrees back to the right.
7. Make a mask as usual.
8. Scale the images to the size needed in IrfanView.

I would rather scale them down after making a mask.
Previously I was placing the ship in place manually on a strip using reference dots set up in paint. Not quick or easy.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'd strongly recommend getting 3d software designed for art rather than design.

Unless there are multiple things named AutoCAD this should convert into a format most 3d art programs can import.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps ... ID=9240618

Do your scene setup and texturing in the art software. CAD software doesn't do lighting and shadows, which made all of Psycholis's ships look unreal.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Actually AutoCAD can do lighting pretty well and is currently the focus of my endeavors. You can place the lights where ever you want and give limits of where they can shine. It helps with lit antennas, you can see the light but won't mess with the overall look. Shadows likewise are there. I already used a redish light for the glow of the engines.
Most people usually don't mess with that portion of the program much. There are also textures for surfaces but they're just a little harder to work with.
What I like about it is my learning curve is already there with using the program.
I'll post results when I'm happy with the first image.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I guess autocad is better than solidworks, but if you can't place a camera you still may be better off exporting and doing your render in another program.
Psycholis
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I posted a response on Xelerus but in case you check this more often, the short answer is no, there is no easy way to do it. Atar is right, using CAD software to make spaceships isn't the best way to go about it, but probably like me, you use what you have. I use Solidworks every day so I know it very well and I know it doesn't do ship modeling that well at all. If one day I pick up the creative bug again and decide to make another ship it will probably be using another program. It's been almost a year since I've played Trans now but thanks to your email Vachtra I might want to jump back into it. :) Happy modding.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hi
afaik, DXF is a format that can be converted to other 3D formats with ease. THe problem is that most of the conversion will lose the informations about lights and textures. (that is what happens with Bryce, for example)
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Here is what the help file says about cameras;

Topics in this section
Overview of Cameras
You can place a camera in a drawing to define a 3D view.
Create a Camera
Set a camera and target location to create and save 3D perspective views of objects.
Change Camera Properties
You can modify a camera’s lens length, change its front and back clipping planes, name a camera, and turn the display of all cameras on or off in a drawing.

I'll have to play with it a little but it seems doable. It even seems easier that what I had in mind. and might automate the whole multiple images with a quick routine. Just have it run through each camera and get an image from each.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You need to either rotate the ship under a fixed camera or rotate both the camera and lights.