New consumable items idea

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

How balanced would be an consumable item that can repair 1 device ?
As you know, most devices cannot be repaired. As an alternative to the wrench mod, would a consumable item be a good idea ? Could it be exploited in bad ways by the player ? How should it be limited ? (No reactors? Ton limit ?)

Discuss :)
pip
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=616

Works pretty well, and is one of my favourite mods ever.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

How balanced would be an consumable item that can repair 1 device?
Such an item would be very powerful, but would only be a game breaker if the item is renewable and/or easily obtainable. The item has the potential to effectively give money equal to half of the repaired item's worth and/or short-circuit quests that involve a damaged item (e.g., Qianlong archcannon).

If I wanted to make a wonder item that can repair stuff, I would make it a rare Halo gem (say Gem of Reversal) or a special notrandom limited spawn like PSD's shipwrights.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The issue with such an item is that it is portable. Repairing devices is not a game breaker per-se, but repairing devices on the spot is.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

well, the longzhu sphere is a portable, virtually weightless device repairing item.
It repairs shields and energyweapons on the spot.

what i was thinking was to add 1 generic consumable item that can repair what the longzhu is not able to repair. Could be rarer than longzhu if necessary.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

digdug wrote:well, the longzhu sphere is a portable, virtually weightless device repairing item.
Longzhu spheres are limited, non-renewable resources. They also have a better use other than repairing items - enhancing stuff to 150%. They are also the only item type that can enhance positron or Iocrym plasma weapons. Because they are non-renewable, I burn every last trading post order on them for the purpose of enhancing level 10 equipment (namely IM90, IFC, and Taikon-200) up to +150%.

Repairing stuff with longzhu spheres seems fine, but that is mostly useful for easy money. If longzhu spheres could not enhance stuff to 150%, I would probably use the spheres to repair high level items instead of charging the Qianlong archcannon.

I think longzhu spheres as they are, are overpowered.
digdug wrote:what i was thinking was to add 1 generic consumable item that can repair what the longzhu is not able to repair. Could be rarer than longzhu if necessary.
It should be fine as long as the item is rare and non-renewable, and if the item does not have another, more powerful application.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think the main use for such an item would be a reliable way to get an easily lootable notforsale item like an AAC or FPC without farming. The secondary use would be repairing important stuff that gets damaged and can't be otherwise repairied.
Literally is the new Figuratively