EncountersVol01.xml breaks adventure

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Post Reply
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm

If I start the game and choose my adventure it says: Unable to find starting ship classes that match adventure criteria.

If I remove EncountersVol01.xml from the mod everything is fine. This error happens also when the adventure only consists of this particular .xml, so it may be a bug?
I didn't modify EncountersVol01.xml yet, but I have to do it later.
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm

I narrowed it down to the huari empire code inside the file. If I remove this part, everythings fine. Can't figure out what's wrong though.
User avatar
LordSutekh
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Bedlam

Probably something to do with Huaramarca. When you created an adventure extension, it doesn't create the gate or topology for Huaramarca, but the Huari in EncountersVol01.xml needs it.
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm

I don't think so, this file only contents the sovereign, the station and the ship of the huari. They should be created indepentendly from Huaramarca.

Also I modified Transcendence.xml and the tolopology shouldn't be changed. Is Huaramarca also not created in this case? The Wiki says Huari.xml creates it and I'm using all TransSource files.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2989
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

Shaman wrote:I don't think so, this file only contents the sovereign, the station and the ship of the huari. They should be created indepentendly from Huaramarca.

Also I modified Transcendence.xml and the tolopology shouldn't be changed. Is Huaramarca also not created in this case? The Wiki says Huari.xml creates it and I'm using all TransSource files.
You're right that Huaramarca is created in Huari.xml. I don't understand why anything in EncountersVol01.xml should affect the adventure descriptor. Could you upload a version? Perhaps I can take a look at it.
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9nhku5am6f4f ... ndence.xml
changes have been commented. You have to delete <Module filename="Encountersvol01.xml"/> from loading within the adventure, but it is marked for easy spotting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvurhkrxs7n62 ... sVol01.xml
nothing has been changed, I post it just to be sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7rz5o8bs5otx ... lation.zip
here's the full adventure


Interesting thing:
Within the adventure choosing screen T can display ä,ö,ü, but within the game itself it doesn't work
george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2989
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

I think I figured out the problem:

1. You should run in debug mode, because it will give you better errors. Run the game with the /debug command-line switch. Without /debug the game will sometimes ignore errors if it thinks it can recover. Sometimes, as in this case, that just makes things worse.

2. With /debug the error returned is "duplicate UNID: 8020102". That happens to be the UNID for svHuariEmpire. Currently, svHuariEmpire is defined both in Huari.xml and in EncountersVol01.xml. In the normal game, EncountersVol01.xml is in a separate library, so Huari.xml will override it. But since you've (correctly) but them both inside your own adventure, they conflict. You should delete the definition in EncountersVol01.xml.

3. Also, in Transcendence.xml you should delete the lines that include other libraries (line 1888 and 1889). Those libraries are unnecessary (since you're including all the modules directly). In fact, they may cause conflict after you've fixed the issues above.

This is looking great and I'm really happy that you're doing this work. I wish it were a little easier. In the future I will need to make several engine changes to try to make your life easier.
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks George! Now I have a working adventure.
You know, translating T is kinda easy. I only need a minimum understanding of coding and most things are quite smooth to translate. Only a few things are bothering me, but they can be ignored.
Possible next weekend I'm going to release a first version on xelerus, which should be complete up to Rigel.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2989
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

Shaman wrote:Thanks George! Now I have a working adventure.
You know, translating T is kinda easy. I only need a minimum understanding of coding and most things are quite smooth to translate. Only a few things are bothering me, but they can be ignored.
Possible next weekend I'm going to release a first version on xelerus, which should be complete up to Rigel.
There are a few major tasks I want to work on (probably in this order):

1. Move any remaining text out of the engine and into the XMLs. [Which will allow you to translate them.]
2. Switch to Unicode instead of local code page. This will solve a lot of the character problems (and will allow translation to Japanese, etc.)
3. Separate text from code so you can translate the text without changing the code. This will make it a lot easier to translate since you won't have to worry as much about code changing. [Unfortunately, this is a lot of work, so it will take a while.]

But as I said, I think you've done a great job even without all that. Looking forward to your first version!
Post Reply