looking for suggestions for storage station placement

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I plan to release an updated version of Betel's Storage Station mod shortly. These stations will store items so they are safe from salvagers, The will also send these stored items off in an NPC freighter to other storage stations in other systems if the player wants this. For a fee, of course! This means the player can ship high value items further coreward and retrieve them when they want to use them, not have to carry them around taking up cargo space.

I'm not sure of the best way to place the stations.
There could be one in every major system, eg Eridani, Rigel, St Kats, Sanctuary, etc but this would add an unwanted level of predictability IMO. Although it is reasonable to assume that such stations would be placed in major systems to get the most traffic.
Another option is to just have them randomly occur according to frequency code. This is what happens in the current development versions. But this often leads to only having stations the other side of Sanctuary, or only stations before Rigel. Not the most useful placement strategy.

Possibly there could be a minimum of three stations? One each in the New Beyond, Ungoverned Territories and Outer Realm. Or a minimum of two in each of these regions but randomly placed?
Or a 50% chance of a station occuring in each named system with another couple scattered through the galaxy?

Any thoughts on what would be most useful? And any thoughts on how to code these alternatives?
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Kaama
Anarchist
Anarchist

I think better solution would be to add such feature to one or 2 types of existing stations, i.e startons or shipyards. You just need to choose something that appears in level range you want it. Could be even commonwealth carriers for later systems. I generaly dont like mods ,that add new stations/items, because they dont simply "add". They are also removing basic content- new staton would appear INSTEAD of something and new items will cause older ones to be more dificult to find.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Kaama wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 pm
I think better solution would be to add such feature to one or 2 types of existing stations, i.e startons or shipyards. You just need to choose something that appears in level range you want it. Could be even commonwealth carriers for later systems.
That is a brilliant idea. There could be a number of different companies that move freight, including Korolov, and operate from different stations using the same code. And the items could be shipped to any station for collection. Excellent.
But I will still release Betel's mod because it uses a great new image by Xephyr (thanks).
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!