thrust and thrustRatio explanation please

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Messing about with plyChangeShip a while back.
When adding a reactor to some ships so they could be flown as the playership I discovered that massive reactors were needed to thrust the ships.
I assume this is somehow related to the two different values of 'thrust' and thrustRatio'. There was a change to this but I have never understood it.
Does anyone know how the different thrust values work. Thanks.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Actually, thrust and thrustRatio aren’t the problem at all.

I ran into that in a much earlier version of TBR when George changed how thrust power usage is calculated a ways back. (I predicted/complained that it was going to be a “Gotcha!” for modders later on, too.) Currently, it works from the amount of thrust needed and the mass of the ship, coming up with a power value based off of that (which can be pretty obscene when you’ve got a capship to deal with). Adding drivePowerUse="20" along side the maxSpeed and thrustRatio will bring thrust power usage down to 0.2MW like standard playerships.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You mean 2 MW, not 0.2.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

…Yeah, that. This is what I get for trying to post seconds before rushing out the door… ¬.¬;

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)