Transcendece-Based Linux

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I was wondering if anybody would like to get involved in a Transcendence based Linux?

Linux is an open source operating system (like Windows XP or Mac OS/X), meaning you are free to edit it entirely and keep all rights to it. :twisted: (Of course, George Moromisato will retain all rights to this)

Anyway, I just need to get some practice in for editing open source software. Aside from the Linux, I was planning on editing Firefox to be Transcendence themed, and of course include the game and a wide selection of mods, and freeware programs commonly used for making mods.

I would also like permission from George to continue with this project.

If you have any questions, post here. If you want to get involved, email me at [email protected] (I know I spelled Transcend wrong)

I just realized this isn't in the right section. I don't care, I'm not rewriting it.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Thanks for asking.

The images, sounds, and text in Transcendence are copyrighted. I give you (non-transferable, non-exclusive) permission to use them in themes for Linux & Firefox subject to the following conditions:

1. You add the following notice in a prominent location:

"Transcendence images & sounds copyright by George Moromisato and used with permission. Transcendence is a trademark of George Moromisato."

2. You add a link to "http://www.neurohack.com/transcendence" in a prominent location.

3. You do not state or imply that your product is an official Transcendence product created by me.

Good luck! Sounds like a cool project!
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks, this is going to be a big project. Don't expect it to be released soon though.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Xephyr wrote:I was wondering if anybody would like to get involved in a Transcendence based Linux?

Linux is an open source operating system (like Windows XP or Mac OS/X), meaning you are free to edit it entirely and keep all rights to it. :twisted: (Of course, George Moromisato will retain all rights to this)
Linux is not an operating system, it's a kernel.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote:Linux is not an operating system, it's a kernel.
Linux IS, in fact, an operating system. It does, however run on a kernel. This may cause some confusion, but by no means can a kernel be a standalone OS.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Really? Richard Stallman from the FSF started the GNU project in 1984 to develop a free (as in freedom) Unix replacement. In the '90s, GNU was almost complete, but it was missing an important piece: a good kernel. The GNU Hurd took longer than expected and only in 2004 worked reliably. But, in 1992, Linus Torvalds developed the Linux kernel, and by combining it with the almost complete GNU resulted in GNU/Linux, a free software operating system.

Most GNU/Linux distributions have around 28% GNU software, but the Linux kernel alone is only about 3%. What would you call it? Pick the tiny part that can't do anything alone, or pick the biggest one that is nearly complete? No. Both parts combined make a complete operating system, so let's call it GNU/Linux.

Made using parts from these articles:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote: Both parts combined make a complete operating system, so let's call it GNU/Linux.
I agree entirely. That's what I was saying - The Linux Kernel cannot be a standalone operating system, as it needs other parts to function.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

You said this:
Xephyr wrote:Linux IS, in fact, an operating system. It does, however run on a kernel. This may cause some confusion, but by no means can a kernel be a standalone OS.
Yes, a kernel is useless by itself, but you said Linux is an operating system, when in reality it's just a kernel. Linux doesn't include a web browser, e-mail client, terminal emulator, GUI, CLI, terminal emulator, a ton of libraries, etc. It just includes an interface for the software to interact with the hardware.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote:Yes, a kernel is useless by itself, but you said Linux is an operating system, when in reality it's just a kernel. Linux doesn't include a web browser, e-mail client, terminal emulator, GUI, CLI, terminal emulator, a ton of libraries, etc. It just includes an interface for the software to interact with the hardware.
True. Linux in whole is the operating system's name, basically. Like I'm going to base it on Linux. I don't really care for this argument much anymore. I don't see why you had to try to disprove this.
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Xephyr wrote:Linux in whole is the operating system's name, basically.
Really? Who said that? A ba***rd (he said he is one) who wants to take the credit for something he didn't do? Or the person that started it, and had this person not existed we'd be stuck with only proprietary software.
Desolator wrote:Really? Richard Stallman from the FSF started the GNU project in 1984 to develop a free (as in freedom) Unix replacement. In the '90s, GNU was almost complete, but it was missing an important piece: a good kernel. The GNU Hurd took longer than expected and only in 2004 worked reliably. But, in 1992, Linus Torvalds developed the Linux kernel, and by combining it with the almost complete GNU resulted in GNU/Linux, a free software operating system.

Most GNU/Linux distributions have around 28% GNU software, but the Linux kernel alone is only about 3%. What would you call it? Pick the tiny part that can't do anything alone, or pick the biggest one that is nearly complete? No. Both parts combined make a complete operating system, so let's call it GNU/Linux.

Made using parts from these articles:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:I was wondering if anybody would like to get involved in a Transcendence based Linux?

Anyway, I just need to get some practice in for editing open source software. Aside from the Linux, I was planning on editing Firefox to be Transcendence themed, and of course include the game and a wide selection of mods, and freeware programs commonly used for making mods.

I would also like permission from George to continue with this project.

If you have any questions, post here. If you want to get involved, email me at [email protected] (I know I spelled Transcend wrong)

I just realized this isn't in the right section. I don't care, I'm not rewriting it.

You do know Transcendece runs perfectly under wine? why are you porting it when it works already?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Ttech wrote:why are you porting it when it works already?
Did I say I would? Its just making an OS, not porting the game. The game will run on it with wine or something else.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:
Ttech wrote:why are you porting it when it works already?
Did I say I would? Its just making an OS, not porting the game. The game will run on it with wine or something else.
OS? And firefox theme? Why not just make a GTK (MetaCity) or Emerald Theme? eg Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, all works...

Then what are you doing?
Desolator
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Do you know what an Operating System is?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Desolator wrote:Do you know what an Operating System is?
Yes, yes I do. Thats kind of why I'm able to design one.