Just Games

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Datal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I just want to create a topic for all games.

- What games you prefer :?: Maybe the same as me :?: :mrgreen:
Do you like strategies or races, Diablo or Gran Turismo, or maybe this and this ?
I hope this topic will engage a lots of members, because it hmmm...? intresting ?
Waiting for total disaster........(...)........(.....).......

Just free conversation
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Location: Researching how to make St. Kats star go supernova.

I enjoy strategy games such as Age of Empire (II, not III) and Civilization V. I also like games such as the Sims where you can create things such as houses, castles, prisons :twisted:
Play in over 100 systems in a network. Play the 2011 Mod Of the Year
and the highest rated mod on Xelerus, The Network.
Play the July Mod of the Month, Fellow Pilgrims!
Play My other mods as well
(Drako Slyith)* I am a person
(Eliza chatbot)> Do you believe it is normal to be a person?
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I like a diverse range of games, mainly strategy though...let's see:

Titan Quest
The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion

Total War : Medieval II
Civilisation IV
Europa Universalis 3
Age of Empires III

Spelunky
Transcendence

X3 - Terran Conflict

I think that's about it! :D
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

ThePrivateer wrote: Age of Empires III
Personally I always thought Age of Empires III focused too much on graphics than gameplay; the map editor is useless, and the AI seemed like a push-over. Age of empires II though focuses on gameplay, with just functional graphics and the best map editor I've ever seen. The AI is basic but can be quite difficult. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it is quite brilliant, I just think II was the height of the AOE evolution.
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:
ThePrivateer wrote: Age of Empires III
Personally I always thought Age of Empires III focused too much on graphics than gameplay; the map editor is useless, and the AI seemed like a push-over. Age of empires II though focuses on gameplay, with just functional graphics and the best map editor I've ever seen. The AI is basic but can be quite difficult. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it is quite brilliant, I just think II was the height of the AOE evolution.
I agree -- AOE II was the best in the series, from the clever AI, enjoyable maps, actually useful Navy and units that only took up 1 population space, II was by far the better one. However, Windows 7 has considerable issues running AOE II and for that matter, most isometric based RTS games, such as Starcraft, AOE II, Star Wars - Galactic Battlegrounds and others; google around a bit and you will find that certain colours such as black and dark blue become lurid shades of pink and bright green, making some games unplayable. The only 'fixes' are ones that require registry editing, downloading files from weird websites or using potentially damaging batchfile 'kill' commands.

For that matter, AOE III is currently the better, if only because it's playable. It also has it's fair share of good stuff - the Home City is fresh and interesting, the campaigns aren't too bad, and though the maps are small, they encourage smaller, quicker games that make sure stalemates don't often appear.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I agree that by default AOE III must be the best. I'm waiting for AOE II's software license to expire so I can download it legally. A similar thing happened to Axis and Allies, which by the way is another of my favorite games. It came out in 1999 with a 10 year license and was then downloadable for the maker's homepage.
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Drako Slyith wrote:I agree that by default AOE III must be the best. I'm waiting for AOE II's software license to expire so I can download it legally. A similar thing happened to Axis and Allies, which by the way is another of my favorite games. It came out in 1999 with a 10 year license and was then downloadable for the maker's homepage.
I'm quite sure it doesn't work that way. I'm not sure why Axis and Allies was released, but unless the copyright holder chooses to release it first, Age of Empires II won't enter the public domain until 2119.

Be prepared to wait a while. In the mean time, a used copy of Age of Empires II gold edition is on Amazon for 7.65$.

FWIW, I greatly enjoyed Ago of Empires 3, and I don't really have any major complaints about it. That means something, since I've played AoE 2 every year since it was released.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Curudan wrote:
Drako Slyith wrote:I agree that by default AOE III must be the best. I'm waiting for AOE II's software license to expire so I can download it legally. A similar thing happened to Axis and Allies, which by the way is another of my favorite games. It came out in 1999 with a 10 year license and was then downloadable for the maker's homepage.
I'm quite sure it doesn't work that way. I'm not sure why Axis and Allies was released, but unless the copyright holder chooses to release it into the public domain first, Age of Empires II won't enter the public domain until 2119.

Be prepared to wait a while.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Oh well... So the license lasts 120 years?
Curudan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

IANAL, but that's my best interpretation of what I've read. Wikipedia has a good overview of United States copyright law, if you're interested.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Licenses essentially last until the neo-populists come to power and reverse the depredations of ABC-Disney's lobbyists.
Literally is the new Figuratively
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Drako Slyith wrote:
Curudan wrote:
I'm quite sure it doesn't work that way. I'm not sure why Axis and Allies was released, but unless the copyright holder chooses to release it into the public domain first, Age of Empires II won't enter the public domain until 2119.

Be prepared to wait a while.
:cry: :cry: :cry: Oh well... So the license lasts 120 years?
By which point, no computers, anywhere will be able to play the thing. In fact, computers will be wired to our brains, so we will just be able to think up a game and it will be made. :D

BTW, Drako, congrats on joining the 500+ club. :mrgreen:
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Here is a list of fun, interesting and very curious games:
the Shift Series
An interesting take on puzzle platformers. "Shift" now takes on a whole new meaning.
Mud and Blood 2
Get ready for some Unfair Brutality in WW2. Oh and note- Don't use Frenchies. EVER.
Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy
A fast pace space game with intense, focused combat.
- that's how I found Trans; Wurmish posted a Link to Trans on their forums.
Sonny 1
I can't describe it as good as the developer did:
Krin (the developer) from Armorgames wrote:Dear Human,
Zombies. You've shot them, stabbed them, sliced and diced them. Today I put you in the shoes of a Zombie. Fight for your life in this crazy and twisted world.
After two solid months of production, we present to you this epic interactive tale of Sonny. I hope you like it!
- Krin
Sonny 2
The second one is even better!
Krin wrote:Dear Human,
By now you know what it's like to be a Zombie. To be hunted. To be hated. You fought to survive in a world that didn't make any sense.
But now you're getting used to it. Your senses have sharpened. You finally begin to understand. Why be the prey...
...When you can be the predator?
Colony
An interesting take on multiplayer combat.
Flight
A casual game focused on flying an airplane around the world to awesome music.
The Last Stand 2
Zombie defense game with intense combat and compelling game mechanics.
Pixel Legions
Command a pixel army with cunning and lightning-fast speed.
Rebuild
Attempt to stop a zombie horde from invading your fort- and attempt to take back the city.
Desert Moon
You've crashed on an unknown planet ... your ship has broken in two... and now there are monsters over the horizon as well...
Warfare 1917
A tactical WWI game where you lead the British or the Germans to victory.
Warfare 1944
Rise up to lead the Axis or Allies in WWII.

Diablo was fun, but felt annoying- I reached level 13 with a mage and the monsters were immune to most of my spells.

AoE I- they seriously need better AI and formations- I never beat the campaign though, I remeber playing as Hannibal... and that was about it.

AoE II- The most memorable one of the series. My favorite side to play were Saracens and Mongols- beat all campaigns on hardest- defending the city of Acre was fun! (but moreover frustrating!)
I learned so much history from AoE II and gained serious respect of the past after I played Acre.
I read that you could also create you own AI- got to try that some day.

AoE III- gotta love the Ottomans, Sioux and India. However, the gameplay was just get a bunch of cannons [my fav tactic from AoE II- hit and run- was hard for me to accomplish here!] and proceed to blow up your enemy.
I don't like how Ensemble Studios got disbanded- I heard that they will make a new AoE, but I don't know what to think about it.
That's all I remember for now.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Drako Slyith
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

RPC wrote:Here is a list of fun, interesting and very curious games:
the Shift Series
An interesting take on puzzle platformers. "Shift" now takes on a whole new meaning.
Mud and Blood 2
Get ready for some Unfair Brutality in WW2. Oh and note- Don't use Frenchies. EVER.
Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy
A fast pace space game with intense, focused combat.
- that's how I found Trans; Wurmish posted a Link to Trans on their forums.
Sonny 1
I can't describe it as good as the developer did:
Krin (the developer) from Armorgames wrote:Dear Human,
Zombies. You've shot them, stabbed them, sliced and diced them. Today I put you in the shoes of a Zombie. Fight for your life in this crazy and twisted world.
After two solid months of production, we present to you this epic interactive tale of Sonny. I hope you like it!
- Krin
Sonny 2
The second one is even better!
Krin wrote:Dear Human,
By now you know what it's like to be a Zombie. To be hunted. To be hated. You fought to survive in a world that didn't make any sense.
But now you're getting used to it. Your senses have sharpened. You finally begin to understand. Why be the prey...
...When you can be the predator?
Colony
An interesting take on multiplayer combat.
Flight
A casual game focused on flying an airplane around the world to awesome music.
The Last Stand 2
Zombie defense game with intense combat and compelling game mechanics.
Pixel Legions
Command a pixel army with cunning and lightning-fast speed.
Rebuild
Attempt to stop a zombie horde from invading your fort- and attempt to take back the city.
Desert Moon
You've crashed on an unknown planet ... your ship has broken in two... and now there are monsters over the horizon as well...
Warfare 1917
A tactical WWI game where you lead the British or the Germans to victory.
Warfare 1944
Rise up to lead the Axis or Allies in WWII.

Diablo was fun, but felt annoying- I reached level 13 with a mage and the monsters were immune to most of my spells.

AoE I- they seriously need better AI and formations- I never beat the campaign though, I remeber playing as Hannibal... and that was about it.

AoE II- The most memorable one of the series. My favorite side to play were Saracens and Mongols- beat all campaigns on hardest- defending the city of Acre was fun! (but moreover frustrating!)
I learned so much history from AoE II and gained serious respect of the past after I played Acre.

AoE III- gotta love the Ottomans, Sioux and India. However, the gameplay was just get a bunch of cannons [my fav tactic from AoE II- hit and run- was hard for me to accomplish here!] and proceed to blow up your enemy.
I don't like how Ensemble Studios got disbanded- I heard that they will make a new AoE, but I don't know what to think about it.
I love AOE II. Mostly, I love the map editor. You can do just simple maps with 100 archers lined up shooting at 200 swordsmen. Or you can use the only triggers system I've ever been able to use to create a never ending siege. And the terrain editing was simple, but let you build awesome fortresses and cities. I once had a Giant sized map filled with one city, each side had half the city. (great fun BTW). The one flaw in gameplay I think was you couldn't put an archer on a wall.

Most of those games are flash games right? They are very good for wasting some time. The problem with them is they are very hard on computers.
ThePrivateer wrote: BTW, Drako, congrats on joining the 500+ club. :mrgreen:
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

RPC wrote: Diablo was fun, but felt annoying- I reached level 13 with a mage and the monsters were immune to most of my spells.

Not sure if you mean Diablo (the original) or Diablo II -- either way I got my mage to level 22 and couldn't go any further. Titan quest is a lot better, trust me.

Regarding Ensemble Studios, they have partially reformed under Robot Entertainment -- they still have the old website here. As of January 3, 2011 they have passed all support to Micrsoft Games Studios though. They have brought out a weird MMO/Online version of AOE (Age of Empires Online) and there are still rumours persisting of an AOE IV, but that's unconfirmed at best.

BTW, cool website you linked too. Might check it out for some fun games.
Drako Slyith wrote:
I love AOE II. Mostly, I love the map editor. You can do just simple maps with 100 archers lined up shooting at 200 swordsmen. Or you can use the only triggers system I've ever been able to use to create a never ending siege. And the terrain editing was simple, but let you build awesome fortresses and cities. I once had a Giant sized map filled with one city, each side had half the city. (great fun BTW). The one flaw in gameplay I think was you couldn't put an archer on a wall.
I can't get AOE III triggers/maps to work correctly...but AOE II was great -- I remember making hundreds of battle scenes, with giant cities getting seiged by a thousand trebuchets etc...good times. :D
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Most of those games are flash games right? They are very good for wasting some time. The problem with them is they are very hard on computers.
Yeah, most of the games are flash.
ThePrivateer wrote:Not sure if you mean Diablo (the original) or Diablo II -- either way I got my mage to level 22 and couldn't go any further. Titan quest is a lot better, trust me.
Diablo I.

For AoE II, has anyone tried to mod the AI? I wanted to for a very long time, but then found Trans.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.