Where did all the names come from in transcendence??

Talk about anything not related to Transcendence.
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

There are some unusual names in this game.For example theres Nobunaga who is Top villian in the Onimusha series of games and then there is Erebor which is from Lord of the Rings. Anybody know any other easter eggs of this sort?
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Okay my mistake. Just found out that it was Erebus and thats a mountain but i'm sure i came across that name is some game too...
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Nobunaga was a (very strong) Japanese Daimyo (warlord) and Shogun (leader), sometime between the twelfth and fifteenth centuries.
The name Nobunaga is used throughout a number of games and books. He's quite often referred to as evil.

I wouldn't really call these easter eggs, since they're just historical names.

I beleive Erebus was also a part of hell in Greek mythology.

You might want to take a look at this thread on the forums - it points out a lot of foreign words and names, with some translations.
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Domina seems to be Latin, possibly mistress, as domine is master. Heriodule is latin/greek for holy slave. Rigel is a real star, the second to last system is an alien reference. centurion is a rank in the roman army, and thats all i know off the top of my head.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

"Cobalt Thorium" we covered in another post. Its a reference from Doctor Strangelove, and has a radioactive half-life of 93 years.

"Charon" in greek mythology was the ferryman who ferries the dead.

"Heliotrope" is a flower... or a colour... or a mineral... or a distinctive rash caused by juvenile dermatomyositis.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Helio = sun
Trope = turns

or "turns to the sun", as in heliotropic plants and the like. Fitting considering their solar panel and sunflare cannon nature.

Lalande, Eridani, Groombridge, Ross 248 and Van Maanen are all real stars, and all pretty close to Earth. Note they are all also early game systems, fitting as well.

The ones with HD [some number] are probably real too as that is one way stars are named.

Gehenna is another name for hell, not sure whose, but it could be a nethack reference as well.

Gorgon and Acheron are greek mythology.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Lalande was an astronomer who has a star named after him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_Lalande

Apparently this astronomer had arachnids for appetisers.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yugimotomanager wrote:I beleive Erebus was also a part of hell in Greek mythology.
I'm pretty sure it's in Christianity too. But that's only because there's a level called Mt. Erebus in Doom, which seems to focus on Christian hell (E.g. Tower of babel)
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

The Drake's name could have been inspired by a couple of people... Frank Drake, who founded SETI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Drake
or Sir Frances Drake, the privateer, which perhaps makes more sense seeing the Drake is a pirate vessel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Drake
(name here)
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

or it could be that drake is synonymous with dragon.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

(name here) wrote:or it could be that drake is synonymous with dragon.
Drake usually means male duck :wink: , but yes, drake can also mean dragon. Thats a pretty archaic meaning though.

To be honest, I'm inclined to believe that Drake is a reference to Sir Frances Drake, simply because other Charon ships have naval/pirate associations: the Corsair and the Viking.
Cardinal
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Strelka (Стрелка, "Little Arrow"), was a russian space dog, and was a traveller or a Sputnik satellite. She, along with other animals on that voyage, was one of the first animals to travel to space- and return alive.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Most, if not all, names in the game have some sort of historic or astronomical influence. Eridani is named after the constellation, Eridanus.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:Most, if not all, names in the game have some sort of historic or astronomical influence. Eridani is named after the constellation, Eridanus.
Stellarilum , I was usign it and found tons of STar that are simiar . Ridgel
Charon Mass of Goo
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Creating Inappropriate "Signature Dialouge" since yestermorrow!

Some one should make a mod (Going way off topic) that refers to the "Cat in a Box" theory by, who's was it and what was it about?

The name of the item that it is made for should be "Cat in a Box" :D

it should be worth a bazillion trillion credits, and every playership should start out with it.

But seriously, is "Kurayami" in Transcendence? It's Japanese for Shadow, or something else... I can't remember. But one of its Definitions is definately Shadow... I looked it up :D
Charon Fizz-Soda! It's Red! It tastes like Awesomness! AND PIRATES MADE IT! Better than Eridani Mineral Water too!