Weapon Attributes and Elements (reference list)

This is a moderated forum that collects tutorials, guides, and references for creating Transcendence extensions and scripts.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yeah I tried a couple of times to change the value to 90 or to 180 (to hit everything in front of the ship) and it doesn't work. (as expected)
speedofsquid
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'm guessing aimTolerance is the maximum angle (or a modifier to the maximum angle) at which an ai considers a target to be shootable. It seems to be used in spread or randomized-shot-angle configurations. To make a weapon with a targeting arc, maybe try the minFireArc and maxFireArc Weapon attributes (see Dwarg Xiphon cannon).
Apemant
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

speedofsquid wrote:I'm guessing aimTolerance is the maximum angle (or a modifier to the maximum angle) at which an ai considers a target to be shootable. It seems to be used in spread or randomized-shot-angle configurations. To make a weapon with a targeting arc, maybe try the minFireArc and maxFireArc Weapon attributes (see Dwarg Xiphon cannon).
Yes I know how to make it partially auto-targetting I just wondered what aimTolerance meant. So it's a hint to the AI equipped with that weapon? Hmm what does it mean, if I set aimTolerance="90" then enemy ships equipped with it will fire almost randomly, i.e. missing a lot with that weapon?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

also the <AISettings> in the shipclasses have already
fireAccuracy="95"
as a parameter to have an AI ship randomly missing.
Apemant
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

digdug wrote:also the <AISettings> in the shipclasses have already
fireAccuracy="95"
as a parameter to have an AI ship randomly missing.
Okay, so if fireAccuracy is "95" but aimTolerance is "90" (degrees) - which of them has precedence? At any rate, one of them sounds superfluous.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's not to make it self-aiming. There's only one non-omni self-aiming weapon in vanilla transcendence and it uses minFireArc and maxFireArc.

aimTolerance is used in the following weapons.

Trident

Code: Select all

<Configuration aimTolerance="5">
				<Shot angle="3d5-9"/>
			</Configuration>
Storm

<Shot angle="3d5-9"/>
			</Configuration>

Ion Flame Cannon

<Shot posAngle="0" posRadius="0" angle="0"/>
				<Shot posAngle="0" posRadius="0" angle="-8"/>
				<Shot posAngle="0" posRadius="0" angle="-5"/>
				<Shot posAngle="0" posRadius="0" angle="-2"/>
				<Shot posAngle="0" posRadius="0" angle="2"/>
				<Shot posAngle="0" posRadius="0" angle="5"/>
				<Shot posAngle="0" posRadius="0" angle="8"/>
			</Configuration>
It's used by all spread shot weapons that do not use the hard coded spread configuration. I suspect it's an indicator for the AI that the weapon covers an arc and so shots don't have to be lined up perfectly.

fireAccuracy is an ai setting and is designed to generate misses. It is probably added to aimTolerance when applicable.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I would like to know if you can have a configuration under <fragment>.
I tried this some time back and couldn't get it to work. That was about a year ago.
Trying to make a launcher that can fire what amounts to fireworks. One main projectile and each shell type has it's own burst configuration. Right now just wanting arcs with different spreads, 45, 60, 90 and 180, and number of fragments. Haven't found any working examples but have been nudged this way.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
sixk
Anarchist
Anarchist

Super new to everything new in this game. What is the debug thingy for? please no sarcasm. just here to learn