Official Transcendence Wiki

Discuss the community, including forums, xelerus, wiki, chat, and trac.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

evilbob wrote:Ok, I'll get to work as soon as I find out where the edit button is.
You'll find it eventually (hint: just under the page title, unless your acc hasn't been confirmed yet).

Anyway, I decided to try and make a page about one of the shields. I think I kinda failed. It seems far too empty, and I didn't know what to include; I didn't think that the average reader would know what absorbAdj was, and I figured that anyone who wanted the absorbAdj for a shield was, they'd probably have access to the XMLs, so I decided not to include it. However, without all of the information the entry just seems... incomplete.
It'll be rather hard to keep the summaries unbiased, too.

Any advice?
Lv4snobrdg
Anarchist
Anarchist

darksider wrote:Is George the administrator of the wiki?

If not, I will probably not help you, for malicious (or at least disrespectful) use of the name of the property of his own.
Has to be with George's approval and knowledge, as stated above the wiki is being hosted on the Neurohack URL.

I have registered, only interested in viewing material at this time. Doubtful that at this point in my TransModding that I have much to offer to the Wiki. My first large (2500 lines, ~70 Entities) extension is done and I am cruising the galaxy looking for my stations and encounters (tweaking" before I commit to an adventure extension. When the adventure is built I will be tripling the amount of entities so there is some work to do.

Its quite cool how this game is designed, I haven't had this much fun, with my pants on, in quite a while.
a modder is as a modder does.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

perhaps something like this: Laser cannon article

In trivia should go what we know about the weapon- like from this topic - info on how the weapon would function IRL, or where the idea came from, a link to wikipedia's laser article, etc.
darksider
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

george moromisato wrote:This is official--GambitDash has been helping me put this together (plus other things).
OKay, thanks for the info!

It seems the wiki needs some basic statement and description at the moment, though it's not very interesting work and few would willing to.
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

Excellent, thank you everyone for contributing to it!

If anyone is pending permissions and is unable to edit pages after logging out and logging back in again, please send me a private message and I'll make sure that it gets sorted out. The wiki's fairly easy to administrate, but the bugtrac is much more awkward. Until I get that sorted out, if you don't get permissions within a few days, send me a line.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

evilbob wrote:perhaps something like this: Laser cannon article
Hey, yeah, that's a ton better ^_^ I had thought of including the image, but when every weapon in the default game looks exactly the same, I came up with the idea of a small screenshot of one of the starter ships firing said weapon. What do you think?
evilbob wrote:In trivia should go what we know about the weapon- like from this topic - info on how the weapon would function IRL, or where the idea came from, a link to wikipedia's laser article, etc.
Sounds good to me.
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Yugi wrote:every weapon in the default game looks exactly the same, I came up with the idea of a small screenshot of one of the starter ships firing said weapon. What do you think?
Perhaps in a separate section? the icon for weapons helps identify the sort of item it is, so a similar layout for other item articles like shields and armour would have the icon for that item type. and the ships would have an image of the ship there.
wnmnkh
Miner
Miner

I also registered.... waiting for the approval..
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

wnmnkh wrote:I also registered.... waiting for the approval..
It's not quite necessary to post here while waiting for approval :) Give me a day or so at the least to get around to the approval before sending me a private message poke.

Cheers,
--G
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I have a question. Can we put up pages about our mods or ourselves (as part of the community) on the wiki? Maybe as an easter egg? I would just like a "Schilcote" page on the wiki which tells about my mods and my contributions to the community.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
Cidewalk
Anarchist
Anarchist

So it occurs to me that manually copy-and-pasting data from the transdata .xml outputted files into a format to put onto the wiki is both tedious and boring. I could probably write an xslt to turn the output from the weapons, items, or whatever similar .xml files into properly formatted docuwiki code.

The issue here is that it still involves a lot of copy and pasting for putting the docuwiki code onto each own page (although it's a lot less work than formatting it all too.) Now, I'm not much for webscripting, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be terribly hard to write a similar script to upload it all if it were already formatted.

Maybe I'm totally off on that. I guess I could write a macro to do it all, but that would assume my connection doesn't lag or something, which would screw everything up. A proper script would be better and less annoying.

That being said, is there anyone who has the needed knowlege of how to do this? If so, is there any special formatting you'd like in the outputted files? Would one document with some sort of differenciating tags between them be best, or would it be better if each item were in its own .txt document? I have several other questions too, but if no one knows how to do it, there's no need to bring them up.

Anywho, I seem to have written a bit here, so I'll go start writing the xslt. It's gonna take a bit of time anyway and I don't need any sort of answer to my questions quickly or anything. If all else fails, I don't REALLY mind copy and pasting it all onto pages, just, there are oh so better ways.
GambitDash
Developer
Developer

I have no idea, BUT if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know! Writing some basic scripts to output the .xml file into the wiki formatted files would be a neat way of supporting automatic updates across various versions.
bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Isn't the Dokuwiki a flatfile Wiki? I mean shouldn't we be able to output the data to to textfiles and then simply put them on the Server?
Cidewalk
Anarchist
Anarchist

That's essentially what I'm asking bimbel. I don't know enough about Dokuwiki to know how it would be best to generate the output. I could go check I suppose, but if someone already knows then that would save me time.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Hi Cidewalk,

I have been looking into this a bit myself, albeit from the approach of parsing the xml with ruby. Im not very familiar with xslt, so i wanted to ask you a few questions...

The ItemType tag is used as a top level tag for different objects. A weapon is defined as an ItemType with a <Weapon> tag, a shield is defined as an ItemType with a <Shields> tag etc...

Is it easy to differentiate and output different templates based on that information with xslt? In ruby i would have to parse all ItemType tags and look if they contained any datatype that put them in a specific category, and then output it as an item of that category. Would be cool if xslt had a simpler solution.

As for what format would be best to output i suppose the DokuWiki syntax of the individual categories would do. The header and footer of the page is similar as far as i know. It would be nice if Gambit- could provide some info on how the actual data for a page is stored. Is the content stored alone as a file or is it stored with full header/footer etc...

Please keep us posted on your progress. If you are making good time on this, I will shelve the parsing project. If you need a hand, ive always wanted to try a bit of xslt, so feel free to load of some work.

All in all i hope we can get this info up soon, in a nice an reporoducible way. Any scripting required i will gladly lend my hand to as well...

.]