Weapons Extended 4

Post about your finished mods here.
JimmyJ
Anarchist
Anarchist

What's the difference between the vanilla and random modes? Vanilla still has random weapons and stuff on ships, so I'm not sure what's different.
Hi
Blitz
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

JimmyJ wrote:What's the difference between the vanilla and random modes? Vanilla still has random weapons and stuff on ships, so I'm not sure what's different.
Only the arena ships have randomized weapons and that too is limited. digdug's version is more like true random - with a LOT more weapons within logical limits.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The 2 weapon modes of Weapons Extended work differently:

vanilla mode keeps the same damagetype on the randomized ship, so a Corsair always get a laser weapon (enhancements and level of the weapon depends on the original weapon and on the difficulty settings)

random weapons means that the randomiser chooses the weapon without taking in consideration the original damageType, so any weapon damagetype can be installed. (historically, this is the original Periculi's randomiser. Plenty of fun but can be somewhat unbalanced.)

After that the weapon is filtered for Sovereigns, and a few special cases, like omnidirectional, pirates, illegal.
---
btw, I had a couple of ideas to expand the weapon modes.
If you have some ideas, please post them and I will be glad to add them to the next update :D
Bobby
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

that's good to know.

I noticed a ferian warrior armed with a laser cannon in my last game, it's the only one I saw , and I didn't stick around and look for more as I wouldn't stand a chance against a properly armed one. That strikes me as a bug.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I noticed a ferian warrior armed with a laser cannon in my last
highly possible, the randomizer installs a level 1 laser cannon (the normal red one) as anti-crash weapon.

I have to look into it.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

WE3 has been updated !
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=612

What's new:
- All weapons have been updated with the diffs between RC4 and RC9.
- New module made by TheLastBrunnenG !!!
- New alternative main file WE_Atarlost made by Atarlost !!!
- Reorganized all the ammo boxes and ammo tables
- Completely revamped the unknown weapons !!! 1 unknown weapon/damagetype/level ! + 1 omnidirectional unknownweapon/damagetype/level ! There are now 1873 random unique names for the weapons.
- Some of my weapons and most of Atarlost weapons will now use <OnFireWeapon> for special effects.
- You can now "Identify" a weapon before buying it ! (say thanks to Prophet)
- All ammo weapons are know identified by default, this is done because of the difficulty to match weapon-ammo combinations.
- All "temperature" weapons will self-repair when used by AI ships to reduce AI shortcomings.

NOTE! This version is "en route" to 1.0, so it contains bugs and future planned work
- Bug: Ferian Warriors sometimes have a laser cannon installed.
- Bug: You can buy the particle cannon installed on the Miners Station (quite odd bug)
- Bug: Kate's Corporate Cruiser sometimes won't shoot missiles at the Rigel Aurelius Mission.

FUTURE WORK:
alterecco completely rewrote the randomizer to work with DockScreenFramework mod! Future versions will require it.

----------------------
We have new people here at the forums, so maybe it's better if I write a few lines explaining what is this mod:

Weapons Extended Mod is a mod started from a Periculi's idea back at the beginning of 2008.
The mod collected a lot of entusiastic players and contributors during the years.

What the mod does:
The mod introduces 600+ new weapons and missiles, and randomizes all of them on all the ships in the game.

1.0 is just near the corner, so I think I have to write a few lines to thank all the people that made this mod possible: (in alphabetical order)

alterecco, (complete randomizer re-write to work with dockScreenFramework mod, debugging)
Atarlost, (NorthwindEquipmentPack, alternative WE_Atarlost main file, Sovereign weapons, major re-balancing)
Digdug, (mod maintainer)
Periculi, (original idea, original core code of the randomizer, original color scheme of the lasers!)
Prophet, (modified dockscreens with Identify option!)
Taben, (debugging, suggestions, lots of idea to improve code)
TheLastBrunnenG ("new weapons" module)

---------------------
MORE!
There is a mod in the mod !
Atarlost made an alternative main file that is substantially different from mine!
IT WAS (OBVIOUSLY) MADE BY ATARLOST AND CHANGE CONSIDERABLY THE GAME EXPERIENCE WHEN COMPARED TO THE STANDARD WE3
SO SIMPLY RENAME THE MAIN FILE LIKE THIS (without the quotes):
"WE_WeaponsExtended.xml" ----> "_WE_WeaponsExtended.xml"
THEN REMOVE THE UNDESCORE IN FRONT OF ATARLOST's FILE:
"_WE_Atarlost.xml" -----> "WE_Atarlost.xml"
AND YOU READY TO PLAY WITH A SUBSTANTIALLY DIFFERENT MOD !
HAVE FUN!

---------------------------------------------------
Please download from here:
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=612
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It might be advisable to disable "new weapons" when using my core module since TheLastBrunnenG and I seem to have arrived at a number of similar weapons that share the same name. They won't conflict, but you'll wind up with several cases where two slightly different weapons share the same name. I think, for instance that our "dual fast-fire laser"s differ only in mass and price tag.
Matz05
Anarchist
Anarchist

Please update this! This mod is the greatest!

Im havving the Kate problem... her Corp Cruiser won't fire, just takes up bombing positions and slowly shifts around the target.

I can't get WE_Altarlost working either.

How do I add more weapons to the unidentified list? Like if I wanted to use new Northwind and Newweapons packs?
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yeah, that would be great :D

Unfortunately real life is really going heavy on me.
I'll do what I can. :)
I wanted to release some new contents instead of simply update the mod. That's why the mod has not been updated in while.
Matz05
Anarchist
Anarchist

Maybe find a way to add content from other mods into the unidentified list (if thats even possible), or fix the Arena Mission bug?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

What new content are you talking about adding?
Matz05
Anarchist
Anarchist

I mean weapons from mods like Weapon+(17 is it?) and newer Northwind packs becoming unidentified liketh built-in ones. Also maybe make some "signiture" weapons stay similar? By special effacts maybe?

Radiation for Sapiens, not blast.
EMP for ships with EMP guns like the barbary.
Device damage/emp for the Ventauri.

Right now WE3 makes the arena mission much harder. Kate won't M2 or whatever the Black Market (something wrong with ammo for the NAMI Heavy?) and Dragonflys have some nasty ammo varients. (Molotoks hurt when they irradiate you constantly!)

Also, you added a few varients of the launchers, right? Maybe, instead of being identified, it should look at the first ammo it uses and find it in the tables, reading:

Ammo-using Omni Blast Cannon marked "Razor"
A turret-mounted blast cannon.
Uses: Akan 30 ammo

(Akan 600)

Or:
Unidentified Launcher marked "(C) Supertech"
A missile launcher, you don't know enough about it to identify it.
Uses: NAMI ammo.

(NAMI launcher)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Matz, none of that is remotely possible. The modding system simply doesn't allow it. Mods are inherently self contained.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Maybe find a way to add content from other mods into the unidentified list (if thats even possible),
hi Matz05,
the idea of having add-ons for WE was something I wanted since the beginning of the project.
That's why i made that convoluted hack to run multiple global functions in other mods.
you can also add your own mods with WE and use the unidentified virtual weapons in your own mods. (just copy the UNIDs inside your mod)

Right now WE3 makes the arena mission much harder.
overall, WE is harder.
Radiation for Sapiens, not blast.
EMP for ships with EMP guns like the barbary.
Device damage/emp for the Ventauri.
Dragonflys have some nasty ammo varients. (Molotoks hurt when they irradiate you constantly!)
good point. I have to fix those to have a better balanced experience.

also, all ammo weapons are identified in the most recent release of WE. this is done for various reasons. It may change in the future. (ammo weapons unidentified, and launchers identified) the new WE will have a dockscreen for players to customise the identification of the weapons.
For example, the player can find a red turbolaser, it's installed and/or identified at the station. What if the player has now identified ALL the turbolasers instead of just the red one ?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I still think multi-ammo ammo weapons are broken as long as they use launcher mechanics.

The inability to use more than one is pretty bad, and the dilution of ammo for the non-launcher versions is downright ruinous.

Few if any of the multi-ammo weapons are viable substitutes for real launchers

If you must have a multi-ammo weapon it should use virtualization with dockscreen configured ammo prioritization.