Suggestions re saving

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
andwheee
Miner
Miner

*When saving, keep the most recent 2 or 3 save states. Sometimes after saving I notice one of my items is damaged or something (and it is a pain flying around trying to repair or replace it), in this case it would be good to load the 2nd last save I made.

*Have a hotkey for a quicksave- instead of pressing escape, then 2, then moving the mouse to click on continue game.

*Stop automatic saving when passing through a stargate.
andwheee
Miner
Miner

One more little thing, when you press escape the options are 1: Help, 2: Save, 3: Self-destruct.

A couple of times I have saved when I meant to self-destruct because the keys are right next to each other. How about using letters or something?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If you copy your savegames to another folder, they won't be overwritten.

The obvious answer is to try to get good enough at the game so that you no longer have to rely on resurrecting all the time.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

andwheee wrote:*Stop automatic saving when passing through a stargate.
I'd like to see that as a toggle-able option actually.

It's important to keep in mind that different people have different styles of play. Some like to have the option to continue if they die or go back to a savegame if they screw up and others prefer the challenge of charging all the way through without reverting to a previous save or continuing if they die. I think Transcendence should allow the option for both styles of play. As it is, you *do* have the option to back up your save game files manually, but I would like to see the ability to have more than one savegame file that you can revert to by the time we get to v2.0.
BlakeG228
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Yes Yes Yes!

All of the above!

There most definitely should be a multiple save system like in most other games. I also give a thumbs up to the idea of toggle-able stargate autosaving.

Maybe even have a quick load hotkey as well as a quick save hotkey... :D
All Saints Have a Past & All Sinners Have A Future...
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

In my opinion Save Scumming goes against the spirit of the game (it's origin lies in games like NetHack and Rouge)

That said, George might want to implement it, due to popular demand...

The main objection to multiple saves and/or toggling of stargate saving is that it enables level scumming. Since the star systems are auto generated upon first entry, if you are allowed to jump to a save point prior to that system, you could generate the level over and over again until you get the desired result (eg. a system with a targeting rom), which leads to some very tiresome/bad game mechanics.

You might argue that, since you can already save scum by backing up the save game file, the interface might as well provide some easy way to do it. The issue with that is that backing up the save file is cheating and it is in general a bad idea to provide an easy interface to a cheat (outside of development/testing).

Now, that said, there might be some good way of making the save system more flexible. Perhaps multiple saves within one system, and a quick load/save key to the most recent of those saves?
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Best and easist way to kill Save Scumming create all systems on game start and save the data to the save so no matter how many times someone restarts the system it will always be the same

if it would cause the game to slow frezze the system till the player entres it for te first time
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think that would require considerable changes to the games internals. It would also prevent applying some logic to the system generation based on your current state/achievements (not sure if the game currently does that though).
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

alterecco wrote:It would also prevent applying some logic to the system generation based on your current state/achievements (not sure if the game currently does that though).
I think that TSB (formerly TX2) will need that functionality. Other modules may as well. Taking it away would be very bad for any thing with a story more involved than "go to the core".
andwheee
Miner
Miner

An idea might be to charge the player x credits to save to discourage saving too frequently?
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Why not simply have the *option* of autosave on gate, and a pair of conducts "Autosave on" and "Autosave off" in one of the later versions?

Because both have both advantages, and disadvantages.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:Why not simply have the *option* of autosave on gate, and a pair of conducts "Autosave on" and "Autosave off" in one of the later versions?

Because both have both advantages, and disadvantages.
that actually might be something to suggest to be added to the settions.xml
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A conduct with an option might be a good idea