Armor to Raw Materials Debate

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
jamieboi2005
Anarchist
Anarchist

I am playing with the idea to expand my Ore Smelter and Fuel Maker mod to include conversion of armors into their raw materials. Many armors don't have obvious ores from which they are made like Tharis plate, Carbide Carapace, and Hexaphase Armors. Atarlost and I have been debating whether the mod is worth making as it would only convert the vanilla armors and not player added armors. I would really like other peoples perspective on the utility of this mod. Anyone with ideas, suggestions, criticisms, etc welcome.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I like it. As for the higher level armors... Why not just convert them to an appropriate amount of high-grade ore equivilent to their level? As for player-made stuff- Why not have anything that isn't part of the system get smelted down to processed alloy, which you can use as part of smelting to boost it (Much like getting a bonus to armor plating barrel and applying it, but on creation instead)? Thus it gives use to them, without making it overly powerful or detrimental.
jamieboi2005
Anarchist
Anarchist

I created a table of what armors would be recycled. What you would get from them, including a couple of new items. Then I created a second table of what armors could be extruded from the base materials. It comes out to 54 recyclable armors and 35 extrudable armors. These are all vanilla armors of course.
Attachments
armor.zip
Excel Spreadsheet for Recycling and Extruding
(11.63 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
jamieboi2005
Anarchist
Anarchist

Amariithynar wrote:I like it. As for the higher level armors... Why not just convert them to an appropriate amount of high-grade ore equivilent to their level? As for player-made stuff- Why not have anything that isn't part of the system get smelted down to processed alloy, which you can use as part of smelting to boost it (Much like getting a bonus to armor plating barrel and applying it, but on creation instead)? Thus it gives use to them, without making it overly powerful or detrimental.
Not sure yet how complex it would be to identify armors that aren't hard coded into the mod. Not sure you can tell the difference without a complex script. Depends on a lot of factors.
sdw195
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

for non modded armors, just convert them into a raw materials container with a mass of 5 tons and a decent price, form there you could refine it to your ingots or sell it to a corp factory
"Dash_Merc - George is a genius, in that he created this game engine that is infinitely extendable"
"<@sheepluva>Good night everybody, may the source be with you." <-- FOSG dev
"You only need THREE tools in life - WD-40 to make things go, Duct Tape to make things stop And C-4 to make things go away"
jamieboi2005
Anarchist
Anarchist

I have been able to create a Recycler Auton that will convert armor segments into Armor Construction Materials. The next step is to create a Auton or add to the Recycler Auton the ability Extruder (Create) armor segments from the ACM.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

sdw195 wrote:for non modded armors, just convert them into a raw materials container with a mass of 5 tons and a decent price, form there you could refine it to your ingots or sell it to a corp factory
This is basically what I was thinking, but even better. As to be expected from SDW!