YASD Thread

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Didn't want to un-necro some other thread (if there is one) so I'm starting this one :D

YASD = Yet Another Stupid Death, a common acronym for any Rouge-like game ;)

So I'm bravely using my slightly over-powered (no really, I've nerf it a LOT trying to make it a worthy player ship to start with) mod ship USS Defiant, and I got about 3 systems into the game (newest ver 1.08g) and find my first "Defend the station from a pirate attack". 1st wave, no problem. 2nd wave, not much of a problem, no shields left but plenty of armor... 3rd wave hits, and in the midst of the battle a random group of centaris show up and muddle up the battle... and the station got destroyed... Oh well, failed mission, no biggie, right?

WRONG :oops: Next Commonwealth station I hit, I get arrested for the destruction of the former base I was defending, and in the ensuing panic, I plead not guilty, and was judged guilty anyways, and imprisoned. I'm guessing some stray shot of mine was the final blow to the station.

Got any really stupid deaths to brag about? We promise not to laugh at you... much ;)
ThePrivateer
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, I tend to be a little heavy-handed on the missile trigger -- a few games ago, I was randomly spraying frag mags around, at close range.
In the middle of a firefight.
With no shields, and limited armour.

Needless to say, this wasn't going to go well. I sprayed a whole lot of frags around, and when they exploded, the
damage backwashed over me...and straight through my hull.... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I+I (by accident). Shattered all three wingmen. I quit the game in disgust!
Moral of the story: Shatter should NOT use the key!
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Cygnus.X1 wrote:I get arrested for the destruction of the former base I was defending, and in the ensuing panic, I plead not guilty, and was judged guilty anyways, and imprisoned.
For what it is worth, pleading "Not Guilty" was your only chance of escaping imprisonment. If you plead "Guilty", you would have been imprisoned anyway because destroying a Commonwealth station is the most severe crime, and game-ending imprisonment is the only possible punishment. Pleading "Not Guilty" only works 25% of the time, but it is better than auto-conviction and imprisonment from pleading "Guilty" in this case.

Pleading Guilty is more useful for lesser crimes like piracy or slave trading, and if you have a clean record and lots of money.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ah, that's good to know :) Thanks.

I've rezzed and attempted to defend the station again... it still got blown up in the 3rd wave, but this time I didn't get blamed for it. Maybe I have nerfed my phaser weapons enough :D