Game won't run...

Here you can get help resolving Transcendence-related issues.
PurpleLemons
Anarchist
Anarchist

So essentially, the game shows up in my task manager (to about 120K of memory), but so far has done nothing. I've gotten some help beforehand and tried doing things like running it windowed, setting it to debug, and re-downloading it. I've also tried running as admin but all to no avail. I was just wondering if there's any way for me to fix this?

I can provide my debug.txt file if you want me to, but this is essentially the only thing that is different than just the two lines stating the logging session and version:
04/06/2013 22:54:53 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04/06/2013 22:54:53 Start logging session
04/06/2013 22:54:54 Transcendence 1.1
04/06/2013 22:54:54 Small typeface: Tahoma
04/06/2013 22:54:54 Medium typeface: Arial
04/06/2013 22:54:54 Large typeface: Convection
04/06/2013 22:54:54 Console typeface: Lucida Console

Also, I'm running it in a windows 7 64 bit if it makes any difference.
Anyway, thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

~PurpleLemons
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hello PurpleLemons,
welcome to Transcendence Forums. :)

I'm running Transcendence on Windows 7 64bit and I have no problems, so I believe that's not the problem. The game idles in my system at 194MB of RAM in the task manager so something is happening preventing the game to run properly.

I can give some suggestions that have been useful in the past:

- check your graphics drivers. try to force GDI and/or DirectX modes using command line switches.
http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/wiki ... e_switches

- check if your folder and files are read only. The game won't run if the files are read only.

- scan for viruses/malware, a user in the past had malware preventing him to run the game. I suggest Malwarebytes, spybot search&destroy and a good antivirus.
PurpleLemons
Anarchist
Anarchist

Thanks for the welcome.

Anyway, it must be that my folder is read-only. I've tried unchecking it and hitting Apply and then Okay, but it doesn't make any changes. I've also tried making new folders in other locations, which all are already read-only. I tried the cmd prompt that this one website is saying to use, and it was fruitless. Any suggestions on how to change it?

Thanks,
~PurpleLemons
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Yeah, the read-only thing happened to me as well. Just keep spamming the command to make readable and it should run.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
PurpleLemons
Anarchist
Anarchist

Well I've done about everything I've seen on the websites, and it's come to nothing. I've ended up doing:
-Properties to change it manually (~100 times)
-Cmd prompt (attrib -r C:\Users\Jonathan\Desktop\Games\Transcendence) ~300 times
-Deleting/remaking the folder(~20 times throughout trying)
-Taking ownership using the security tab(When nothing else worked)

So is there anything I'm doing wrong or missing? I'd really love to try the game, but Windows 7 doesn't want me to.

RPC: About how many times did it take for the command to change it, and was I doing what you were with the command prompt(aside from the path location)? I'm just curious because so far nothing has changed, but if it eventually works I don't mind spamming it until it does.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I right clicked on the folder, hit properties and unchecked the box and started up Transcendence.
I've spent ~5 minutes spamming that command once.

Other thoughts:
Where did you put the folder? Maybe place it somewhere else like the desktop?
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Your other option that might solve the problem:
  1. Create a shortcut to Transcendence.exe (if you haven't already),
  2. Right-click the shortcut and select Properties,
  3. In the properties dialog, click on the Compatibility tab,
  4. Check the option: Run this program as administrator,
  5. Click Ok,
  6. Start the game using the shortcut and report back to us with the results :)
Cheers,
Pixelfck
Last edited by pixelfck on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
PurpleLemons
Anarchist
Anarchist

Well so far nothing's worked. My fingers are sore from the mass command -r-ing, and the administrator setting's only change is that it asks me permission to run it. I'll keep trying to troubleshoot it and figure out why my computer dislikes me so much. If I find a solution, I'll post it here, so here's hoping.