[Request] Thing for translations

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

As requested by George in another thread, here's a list of things I need to do a nice translation

-special characters like the german umlauts ä, ö, ü, ß. Also index numbers
interesting fact: At the mod choice screen Transcendence is able to read ä from the name of the file, but ingame text can't display it.

-change the singular and plural quantity in lists -> http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6315
this could be done by changing the quantity from "a/an" to numbers, or by adding more articles, which is way more complicated

-telling which .xml got changed since the last update
this is for keeping the mod up-to-date, it would make the whole updating process reasonable.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I don't know what you mean by index numbers, but Transcendence uses what is AFAIK a full ASCII font in dockscreens. Decorative fonts often omit characters not commonly used in English, but all the letters you requested are 8 bit characters.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Some online dictionairy said that's the name, but I can't find it again. Must have lied.

I'm talking about the little numbers in chemistry, like in H2.

Hm, but my charaters don't work. For example, if I use "ü" It is displayed as "ü"
What can I do?
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ah, those don't exist in the base ASCII set so they may not be available. I don't know they're available in unicode either since they can be accomplished with formatting in formatted text

If you're getting two characters out you're using an incompatible unicode encoding system. UTF-8 is compatible with ASCII as long as no high characters are used, but the characters you requested should not be high characters.

The game should support the characters you need (except the subscripts, which don't appear to be available in unformatted UTF-8 either) at these locations:
Diaeresis
A: Ä alt+0196
E: Ë alt+0203
I: Ï alt+0207
O: Ö alt+0214
U: Ü alt+0220
a: ä alt+0228
e: ë alt+0235
i: ï alt+0239
o: ö alt+0246
u: ü alt+0252

sharp S
ß alt+0223
Literally is the new Figuratively
Shaman
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thanks for the effort, but nope it doesn't work. I still got two characters in return.

Hm, seems like I have to use "ae" for "ä". It's not that nice to look at, but it works. Thanks to jEdit, changing that will only take seconds for all the files.