SHARE THE GAME , MAKE IT WORLDWIDE

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
imantz
Anarchist
Anarchist

Dear admin , can i share this gamr via torrent?
This is a great game and i believe there will be so many interested people that will find this game on torrent site
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure why you'd need to do this, its freely available already online worldwide.
imantz
Anarchist
Anarchist

Is it ?
I dont think so, see you cant find it in torrent side .
I know the game is big to be upload in torrent.
More player , more article that they will write , and maybe our wiki site can be more detail , cause of player's contributions
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It's available on the game's site. Agreed, the game needs more advertisement, but I'm not sure if torrent sites would be a good way.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

imantz wrote:Dear admin , can i share this gamr via torrent?
This is a great game and i believe there will be so many interested people that will find this game on torrent site
The game is already available for free online, but if you want to put it on a torrent site, you are welcome to do so. The license shows that you can distribute Transcendence.zip freely, as long as you don't modify its contents.

Thanks for doing this and hopefully we'll get some new players.
EditorRUS
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It's available on the game's site. Agreed, the game needs more advertisement, but I'm not sure if torrent sites would be a good way.
thepiratebay.cr
rutorrent.com
kickass.so

Why not?
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Because, along with more great members, it will also bring in a lot of all kind of people. Good and bad. And once the door of torrent sharing is opened, it can't be closed.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's a point. Most of those places tend to have a culture of theft and the expansions are not all free even if the core game is. The license allows anyone to put the core game on a torrent site, but it may be something to discourage.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Neuromancer
Miner
Miner

I'd argue that at this point even if there is small scale piracy of the expansions, that would be outweighed both by the people gained from torrent sites who do buy them, and the increased word of mouth it could bring.

If half of the people who download transcendence through a torrent pirate the expansions, then that means that half of them bought the expansions. If those same people are never exposed to transcendence, then there are no new sales at all. Even a 90% piracy rate is a net gain in income and exposure. Those 90% may stick around and contribute to the community or buy other expansions further down the road.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I doubt even 10 percents of people in torrent sites would buy Transcendence expansions. They're very easy to pirate.

Yes, even if just one person buy the expansions it'll be a net gain. But the question is are we ready for so much people in our community? Currently most of us here in this forum are people who are really interested in Transcendence. If it is to be shared on torrent sites there would be... other kind of people coming in. I'm sure some will be great contributors, but I think, if there are those who would readily contribute, they could find the game on their own.
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

They're going to be shared either way, and they're at a price point that should be pretty reasonable to everyone. People also could just do the challenges/contests/go to irc day and get them free.
Its pretty reasonable here. :P But if someone is going to share it - its going to happen regardless, the worst thing we can do is make it worse for the people who might be interested in buying it.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

I'm actively working on growing the Transcendence player base, and whether from torrents or from Steam, I suspect that we will have many more Transcendence players in the future.

But we should remember we're talking about distinct (though overlapping) sets of people. There are:

1. The set of people who play Transcendence.
2. The set of people who talk about Transcendence (and other stuff) in some social media site.
3. The set of people on the official Transcendence forums.
4. The set of people that you (as an individual) happen to interact with across forums, IRC, etc.

We need to be vigilant to make sure that growing #1 does not negatively impact the other sets (and particularly #4). We can do that in different ways, from more active moderation to helpful ways of channeling people to appropriate groups.

And of course, new people might already have their own communities (Reddit, Steam, or whatever). If they start discussing Transcendence in those communities, that should be fine with us.

Of course, I can't predict the future, but I'm confident that we will be able to grow the Transcendence player base without sacrificing all the good aspects of our community.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think it's less likely will bring attention. I recommend to advertise to Facebook, twitter, or other social media. Otherwise, we can distributing this game (Demo version) to popular game website.
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!
Buggy
Anarchist
Anarchist

We don't need to distribute a demo, Transcendence is free. I guess we could make a demo for Eternity Port or CC, but that seems kinda unnecessary.
DigaRW
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I mean unregistered game (Not HD)
Download Transcendence mods from Reinvented Workbench Project!
Click this link!