Project Renegade

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Update 09/03/2016: Renegade is now in open beta. Follow releases in this thread: http://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7589

Born out of a desire to keep myself busy during my spare time, Renegade (working title) is an adventure extension that I started work on a few weeks ago. Now that I've been working on it for a while, its starting to take shape, and it looks like it's something I'm going to finish.

The adventure takes place in a dead-end stargate topology, where a group of warlords have captured a single system along the line, cutting off everyone beyond from the rest of human space, restricting technological development and resource control.

You pilot a ship for The Citadel, a union of many factions that banded together out of necessity. The Citadel orbits a planet rich in fissionable elements (inspired by transuranic worlds in Anacreon), which has been colonized to provide energy and weaponry for the union. Fission quickly surpassed fusion in terms of practicality, and The Citadel eventually built up enough resources to challenge the warlords and return to the rest of human space; It's a battle between the technologically limited and limited resource Citadel against the Warlords who still have unhindered access to new weaponry and uninterrupted resources.

While I don't want to give too much away story-wise, I'll be posting updates in this thread to track my progress. The extension is about 10% complete in my eyes. When finished, it will feature as much original graphics as I can manage.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (108.05 KiB) Viewed 15475 times
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (177.03 KiB) Viewed 15475 times
Last edited by Xephyr on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

It looks to be off to a promising start so far. Looking forward to seeing how things progress. ^.^

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
skaianDestiny
Miner
Miner

Looks to be something really interesting. Keep it up!
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I am the envy (wow, good job!)

Look forward to being able to playtest a betaversion.

Love the idea of having to use tactics and strategy to make up for technological and resource constraints.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Update!

Topology is complete! (this is a big step because I was completely lost on how to do this at the beginning of the week)
Playerships are now rendered to 120 facings
Next update should see a lot more graphical stuff, since a lot of functionality has been added recently.
Attachments
topo.jpg
topo.jpg (156.36 KiB) Viewed 15388 times
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This week's update: New planets!

The mod will be bringing back ringed giants (which haven't been present in vanilla for a while now), as well as introduce gas dwarfs and brown dwarfs (not pictured; there's only so many planets I can fit in a screenshot). There will be few (if any) vanilla planet graphics in the final version. Asteroid fields may see a graphics overhaul as well.

UI enhancements are also partway done. The shield display now functions as a circular gauge. The finished mod will feature its own targeting and reactor HUD displays.

Next week, the focus will be populating the universe with AI ships and stations, both friendly and hostile.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (127.2 KiB) Viewed 15333 times
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

My take on the aethereal planets from Anacreon. Pretty happy with how this turned out.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Those planets are really nice, but there is a fuzzy outline around the planet. Also, it seems like your minimap is totally freaking out on your fourth picture.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Nothing too exciting to report this week; the universe is being populated, but a lot of the graphics and missions are placeholder right now.

-Enemy ships are now rendered to 120 facings
-Every ship has, or will go through, a re-render
-The "story" is starting to get implemented

Not sure if I'll have an update next week, but we'll see what happens.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (55.37 KiB) Viewed 15217 times
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The Cavalier looks good too. If you want to get some extra interest, it might be interesting to give a bit of info on new enemy factions as you add them.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:The Cavalier looks good too. If you want to get some extra interest, it might be interesting to give a bit of info on new enemy factions as you add them.
I don't really have a whole lot of the factions totally figured out yet, but that's a pretty good idea. Warning: Wall of text incoming

Gensokyo Citadel
The Citadel is a reluctant alliance between the major powers in the area. Since the systems cut off weren't extensively populated, a significant military presence wasn't warranted. The Commonwealth and Corporate stations present were quick to join forces, but they were still very vulnerable to the warlords' advances. It wasn't until the Charon forces sought to fight together with the CW and CH that they were able to hold out and stop the warlods from taking any more space - the Charon pirates were far more experienced in fighting tactically than anyone could have expected, and also had their full compliment of pirate ships to dedicate to fighting. Naturally, nobody was entirely happy with teaming up with the pirates, but it probably would have meant total destruction otherwise. And, since these three powers didn't have the resources they needed for extended fighting, several other factions were accepted into the union over time. Now, after some years of stability, the attitude between the groups became more amicable, but there's still serious conflicts between powers and lots of hidden agendas in the background. Hopefully the dynamics between these groups make for an interesting story.

Ships:
Drinnon-Class Corvette (previous image)
Thunderbird gunship (playable ship)
And many others...

Charon Rogues
Not all of the Charon pirates opted to join the citadel's union. They retain autonomy, and are supported via backdoor deals by Charon representatives in the union. Because they're supported, they don't typically engage in piracy, but they aren't friendly, and hassle traffic frequently. There's speculation that citadel representatives are playing some role in their operations.

Ships:
some vanilla Charon ships
the Lynx (7th post)
the Wildcat (not pictured yet)

the Cloudskippers
The secretive Cloudskippers build ships that are conspiciously streamlined and aerodynamic. These guys harvest gas from nebulae and atmospheric worlds to fuel their fusion reactors, and have some mining operations on terrestrial worlds where they're unlikely to be attacked. As they were already self-sufficient during the time of the warlords' attacks, they were able to expand rapidly while most other factions were totally crippled.

Ships:
Storm Cavalier
Gale Ranger
And some others...

Trask Confederacy
A brutal faction that pilots bizarre ships, Trask scientists are geniuses when it comes to turning trash into treasure. With the help of engineered enzymes and some other biochemical factors, they can build entire ships out of stuff that's normally thrown out as waste. The Trask are host to a large zoanthrope population. During the confusion of the warlords' attacks, they took in hordes of displaced zoanthropes, though most of their population is still fully human. They have a very low opinion of other factions, partly due to frequent raids on their compounds to steal their bountiful ship parts.

Ships: Trask gunship (first post, since tweaked and re-rendered), and some others...

the Athena Sect
As you may know, the Ares are a race of clone warriors. The Athena are an offshoot of the Ares who, through extenuating circumstances, became a race of Amazonian warriors when they were forced to repopulate with a female genome. They are not as fanatical as the Ares, but are still warmongers at heart. Their presence in citadel space is sparse.

Ships: Sandstorm, and some others...

This is by no means a complete list of factions. There are many more that are in-progress, currently nameless, or not well thought out yet.
skaianDestiny
Miner
Miner

Xephyr wrote: Gensokyo Citadel
Okay that got a chuckle out of me.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Unfortunately, it's harder to segment progress into weeks, because the content I'm adding is either too small or too large in scale. However, I'm very pleased that the extension is taking on a very unique feel - with unique planets (which, since starting on them, I have become much more competent at making them), new space backgrounds, and the slow but sure population of the systems.

I now feel confident in saying that a beta will be released sometime soon - hopefully before the end of the year.
Attachments
Desert_sys.jpg
Desert_sys.jpg (141.42 KiB) Viewed 15118 times