How to keep track of mod UNIDs

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm looking for ideas on how to keep track of the UNIDs I use in mods. A text document or spreadsheet would seem to be the way to go.

What do other modders do? TIA.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
regurgi
Miner
Miner

I sort out my UNIDs by type, and then use them sequentially:

;DFF30 Items
;DFF31 Weapons
;DFF32 Ships
;DFF33 Armour
;DFF34 Shields
;DFF35 Devices
;DFF36 Effects
;DFF37 Stations
;DFF38
;DFF39
;DFF3a
;DFF3b
;DFF3c
;DFF3d
;DFF3e
;DFF3f - special
;DFF3fe testing
;DFF3ff extensions
Then whenever I need to a make a new weapon, I just have to look back at the last weapon I created. I left the others blank not because I don't know what's going to go there, but because I haven't made any yet.

So my next weapon will be: "0xDFF31 + 00c" since I've only made 11 weapons so far. Each 3 character space is 4096 items, which I'm unlikely to run into anytime soon.

I also intend to sort all my mods into libraries, so it'll a simple matter of going back to my last mod and seeing what the last number is. I'll likely also rewrite some of those lines: ";DFF31 Weapons last weapon: 00b", so when I copy them from an old library to a new library I just have to update the numbers with the new items from the old library. That'll help especially when I'm adding stuff onto an older mod, eh?

Testing is for temporary items and godmods that I use to test behaviours: that can start from 0 everytime because nothing in it should make it into a final product.
During the balancing phase, I might also try out ";DFF3Fd staging" if I've already moved to working on a second mod. Then instead of messing up my tracking system when I add in and later take back out new weapons from an old mod, I have another temporary location to experiment in.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I find it's better to sort by type in a less significant place and use at least the fifth for mod IDs. The fifth and sixth if you plan lots of small mods. In the event you need more than sixteen of any type you can roll over the others into an unused region.

That way all UNIDs in an extension can include the extension ID.
Literally is the new Figuratively
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

I have a general range of numbers for quick finding (see below) and keep the rest of the numbers in a text document.

Code: Select all

ship gfx     |     C000-C999
ship sfx     |     D000-D799
sovereigns   |     D800-D999
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks. Great ideas. I'm using them sequentially ATM but will work out a system as I go.
I'm thinking of using one group during writing/testing then grouping them after the fifth or, more likely, sixth as I complete a mod. Will also keep a text list of all of them and which mod they were used in to refer back to. At this stage I can't see myself needing 16 UNIDs in a mod :shock: .
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!