For Fun: The Headcanon Thread

General discussion about anything related to Transcendence.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AdmiralZo wrote:I've always imagined the player as some super strong guy. After all, the player can magically lift devices that weigh thousands of kilograms to his ship.

Unless of course, he always has his automatic lifter handy.
No, he can mundanely lift devices that weigh absolutely nothing because he doesn't live in an accelerating reference frame.

Silly grounders with their silly ideas about weight.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Atarlost wrote:No, he can mundanely lift devices that weigh absolutely nothing because he doesn't live in an accelerating reference frame.

Of course, super massive objects still have a pretty impressive amount of inertia to overcome. I picture looting to be a very gradual process when you're moving masses equivalent to several cars.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Xephyr wrote:
Atarlost wrote:No, he can mundanely lift devices that weigh absolutely nothing because he doesn't live in an accelerating reference frame.

Of course, super massive objects still have a pretty impressive amount of inertia to overcome. I picture looting to be a very gradual process when you're moving masses equivalent to several cars.
Gives more credence to my 'the cargo bay is full of robot arms' theory, given how I can loot a destroyed station in the middle of a firefight. Also explains how the miner's bay helps us mine.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Over four years ago, I asked how looting would be done. Here is the link to the (old and dead) topic.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
schilcote
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

[schilcote] Why do Korvolov stations have abandoned cargo containers surrounding them?
<AssumedPseudonym> No clue.
<AssumedPseudonym> More to the point, though, why do some of them have pirate bases in them?
[schilcote] Spying on the Korvolovs.
[schilcote] That's how they always know when you're on a mission.

The real question is, if one stock EI500 can take out every enemy station up to Rigel at least, why doesn't the Commonwealth just send in a single task force and wipe out all the bad guys? They're a pretty crappy government, all told.
[schilcote] It doesn't have to be good, it just has to not be "wow is that the only thing you could think of" bad
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Why do Korvolov stations have abandoned cargo containers surrounding them?
I recall reading ingame that the Charon have inside men in Korolov tipping them off to valuable freighters. Those guys may be the ones who proposed having a multitude of pirate base - sized crates lying around their structures, too.

On a more believable note, possibly some manner of last - ditch defense against Drakes? They block missiles reasonably well, which could mean the difference between life and death for a station awaiting reinforcements.
The real question is, if one stock EI500 can take out every enemy station up to Rigel at least, why doesn't the Commonwealth just send in a single task force and wipe out all the bad guys? They're a pretty crappy government, all told.
If anyone figures out an answer to that one, please do tell me. I'd always assumed the pirate factions(Including the Centauri) would retaliate against those who attacked them, and only pilgrims who were heading out of human space anyways wouldn't be afraid, but that's fairly shaky. The region used to have more powerful hostiles, which helped lessen the suspension of disbelief here, but it was always a bit of a head scratcher.

My second guess would be that weaker stations like the pirate caches and Centauri outposts suffer greatly from the scaling used in the game, and would realistically be much harder to find. That one takes some hits when you see them spawning right along trade routes, but we can assume it's a glitch for rationality's sake. It's also supported by the fact that Korolov takes much longer to locate the Charon headquarters than a player would just by orbiting the outskirts of a system.

I really miss the old Stronghold spawning system, where they were far enough out that there was very little chance of accidentally encountering one. The T-series transports going over to them every so often is similarly bad for their cover.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I thought it was strange that armor patches and repair kits come with a wooden crate (or at least, false wood grain patterns have made a comeback in the future), but those of you who have poked around at TransArt might know that the Sisters of Domina stations have a wood texture as well - So maybe wood is actually a common building material in space!
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
0xABCDEF
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

The majority of non-pilgrim Commonwealth citizens are extremely cowardly or apathetic to the point that even a Commonwealth Habitat cannot send its guard to attack a Centauri Warlord Camp. This applies especially to those who pilot the helpless Borers that get surrounded by Centauri Raiders; the pilots are so terrified of conflict that they cannot even fire their Mining Laser. Essentially, people do not attack the Warlords or any other enemies unless they really, really have to.

Fiona's exploration ship may have been part of a large fleet in St. Katharine's Star that was looking for the Dall Sphere, which may explain why Fiona managed to survive all the way to Eridani, yet lost important "data" in the process. She could have been in Heretic, but the trip back would have been so long that Penitents would have had more than enough time to kill her.

The Corporate Hierarchy is run like a huge corporation with numerous subsidiaries and "employees".

The credit and rin are a cryptocurrencies or something similar; it is impossible to just hack in more money.

When Korolov ships say they're shipping cargo to stations, they're really only shipping CONTAINERS FULL OF AIR because the stations that receive services do not seem to have any changes in inventory.

The Sung Slavers are never seen boarding enemy ships/stations and enslaving their occupants; instead, they just kill enemies like the Huari because they already have enough slaves???
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The Ares call themselves Domina followers, but never sent a single dreadnaught to break the quarantine.

A tiny Wolfen can install a dreadnaught grade archcannon.

Bullets can reach the speed of light.

There is no Gamma ray based weapon.

We never get to say "Beam me up, Scotty"

Who sent the mail to Arco?

Is that our family in that Residental Level?