Blender Lessons Sessions

Freeform discussion about anything related to modding Transcendence.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Getting started in 20 minutes.

Here's the link to the hangout, so if its your first time using hangouts you can get everything set up:

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/ ... 54hkxbpsqe
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

All right, that was a good session. I might try having it upload directly to Youtube next time.

George's post on Ship/Station scale

Rotation of the ship modelled
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

That finished model looks great. Did you switch out the EI armor texture to a different one?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:That finished model looks great. Did you switch out the EI armor texture to a different one?
Yeah, I switched it to one of my textures because I didn't want it to look too much like an EI ship.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

At long last, I have modeled something in Blender to test my knowledge of the controls. Can anyone who's been following along see any beginner mistakes that I'm making? I'm not too confident in how I've textured it, so advice there would be especially helpful. I've included the .blend file as a link below in case anyone wants to mess around with it.

.blend file: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 7861159037

@Xephyr: If you're still looking for ideas for the next go, the mirror modifier might be good to go over. I remembered it from a tutorial I watched a while ago, but modeling without one could get brutal for people who don't know it's there.
Attachments
renderImage.png
renderImage.png (42.56 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:At long last, I have modeled something in Blender to test my knowledge of the controls. Can anyone who's been following along see any beginner mistakes that I'm making? I'm not too confident in how I've textured it, so advice there would be especially helpful. I've included the .blend file as a link below in case anyone wants to mess around with it.
I like the model, its a cool design.

Two suggestions:
1. Use the "Cycles Render" lighting engine, rather than "Blender Render". This will change a few things about how materials are handled, but I suggest you use it and get used to it as it is a superior lighting engine to the internal engine.
2. Try using image textures rather than RGB materials. The Transart textures I would use are PatchedMetal for the grey areas and DuralloyMetal for the red.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Xephyr wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote:At long last, I have modeled something in Blender to test my knowledge of the controls. Can anyone who's been following along see any beginner mistakes that I'm making? I'm not too confident in how I've textured it, so advice there would be especially helpful. I've included the .blend file as a link below in case anyone wants to mess around with it.
I like the model, its a cool design.

Two suggestions:
1. Use the "Cycles Render" lighting engine, rather than "Blender Render". This will change a few things about how materials are handled, but I suggest you use it and get used to it as it is a superior lighting engine to the internal engine.
2. Try using image textures rather than RGB materials. The Transart textures I would use are PatchedMetal for the grey areas and DuralloyMetal for the red.
I was using textures - patchedMetal2 for the grey, and red titanium for the red. Testing it out, patchedMetal also works well. My camera positioning probably wasn't great(I've never used one before), but they showed up fairly clearly in other positions. I'll definitely set up Cycles Renderer once I'm ready to start rendering ships for use in the game - I've heard good things about it.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hey guys! Can you add asteroid sprites to Trans? Coz I just found out that I can't blend anything that isn't asteroid :/

TLW is coming July 6th to attend Prof. Xephyr's blender classes.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There's been some interest expressed in another one, so I'm bumping the thread. I should have time to do a session this weekend.

If anyone's interested, let me know in this thread. If you have specific things you want covered, let me know ahead of time so I can prepare.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'll be sure to tune in. I don't have any specific request, though when I get the time I'm planning to have a go at modeling the Air Force's Project Orion battleship.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Xephyr wrote:There's been some interest expressed in another one, so I'm bumping the thread. I should have time to do a session this weekend.

If anyone's interested, let me know in this thread. If you have specific things you want covered, let me know ahead of time so I can prepare.
I want in. Help me get started.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Does tomorrow at 4pm PST (stream time) work for everyone?
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Xephyr wrote:Does tomorrow at 4pm PST (stream time) work for everyone?
I ain't awake by then even in my wildest dreams lol
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

TheLoneWolf wrote: I ain't awake by then even in my wildest dreams lol
What's a better time for you? I'd like to set a time where we can get a few people in.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Xephyr wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote: I ain't awake by then even in my wildest dreams lol
What's a better time for you? I'd like to set a time where we can get a few people in.
At what times are you free, exactly?