Anacreon Era III Discussion Thread

General discussion for the game Anacreon
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ah, I was referring more to your buildup of Citadels. You could effectively shoot down every single ship as soon as it left the jumpyard, but the Federation could not. Also, if you chose, you could restrict maneuvers to and from his core with the amount of Citadels. That was the blockade part.
Hmm mate, I reckon those citadels were built in preparation for someone else's visit to the North. Perhaps someone with quite the fine collection of Minotaurs. Wonder who THAT could possibly be? 8-)
TheBugKing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

--Imperator-- wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:00 am
Ah, I was referring more to your buildup of Citadels. You could effectively shoot down every single ship as soon as it left the jumpyard, but the Federation could not. Also, if you chose, you could restrict maneuvers to and from his core with the amount of Citadels. That was the blockade part.
Hmm mate, I reckon those citadels were built in preparation for someone else's visit to the North. Perhaps someone with quite the fine collection of Minotaurs. Wonder who THAT could possibly be? 8-)
You! they were meant for you!! :mrgreen:
Fire, Fire, Fire;
Streaks of golden light,
Rays of cosmic waves crashing through still dead night.

Gifts of diamond rays,
Strewn pearls of days not measured,
Treasured gleaming quests fade through the absolute oblivion of infinite time, no matter the direction.

And war died the day it noticed itself,
Peace, yet still dead, peace in the void of voids.
Oddball
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Just started losing ships from fleets. No battles just flying around doing my thing. Each watch lose a ship or two out of each fleet. Only change I see cristaline federation has helios exlporers orbiting my HW. Can't find any reference in FAQ to this event. Thanks
TheBugKing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Oddball wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:27 pm
Just started losing ships from fleets. No battles just flying around doing my thing. Each watch lose a ship or two out of each fleet. Only change I see cristaline federation has helios exlporers orbiting my HW. Can't find any reference in FAQ to this event. Thanks
This is the attrition, all manufactured things and troops have attrition that is based on what they are. The more you make of something, at least in Era 2, the faster it attritions. You could also call it the half-life of that product. The half-life is specific to each type of fleets/troops.
Fire, Fire, Fire;
Streaks of golden light,

Gifts of diamond rays,
Treasured gleaming quests fade through the absolute oblivion of infinite time, no matter the direction.

Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Check out wiki.kronosaur.com/anacreon/eras/era3/units for a list of units and their attrition half-lives. Longer half life numbers mean fewer units are lost over time. The half life is (i think) the number of cycles on average that it would take a fleet to lose half of its units.

Generally speaking expensive units like capital ships have longer half-lives than cheap ones like jumpships, and satellite defenses have longer half-lives than ground defenses. Gunships have longer half lives than jumpships but shorter than capital ships.

Ground units and resources have attrition too except for hexacarbide, which lasts forever.
TheBugKing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

OK! So we are bringing Nebula Talk Tonight to the main discussion channel! WOOHOO!

This just in! The Great Southern Nebula has moved. All clear space within southern nebula's are now nebula. Many bright nebula and also rift space has been impacted as well. All nebula rules apply and starships cannot move through the once clear space.

The galaxy got jokes!

Bug OUT
Fire, Fire, Fire;
Streaks of golden light,

Gifts of diamond rays,

--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ah yes... so the Imperium's secret project of nebula manipulation is working after all.

Jokes aside, it seems the nebulae have indeed "shifted" around a bit. Here are images showing the map before and after. Look at the region in white. Yes, the "before" image was from 2 days ago, I don't have a version without the empires' borders outlined.

I'm assuming this is a bug, not a feature? Although expanding and shrinking nebulae would be cool. Or maybe George is attemping to move the nebulae around to make ramjets able to path? No idea.

Although I AM worried this shifting around of nebulae may also occur in the north, breaking the wall around Terra and compromising my security.
Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I don't generally like to publicize exploits but I feel that everyone deserves to know that you can pull all labor away from a tech program by assigning 100% labor to a planetary defense structure for a couple of watches and then setting it back to normal. The tech program still uplifts, so you basically get free TLs.

Since the effect happens randomly and some players clearly know how to reliably reproduce it already, I feel that everyone should know to level the playing field until this gets fixed.
TheBugKing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

So the thought came to me the other day, what happens to a starship fleet with accompanying jumpships if the starships all get blasted out of the sky in flight due to a jumpmissile barrage? If the fleet is located on world when they get anhilated in battle, the jumpships can be moved back to their worlds within the jumpbeacon area's. But what happens to the jumpships who are often on complex paths? Would they continue on at jumpship pace to the designated world or just freeze en route?

By the way...Just in case, Imperium, your empire does get eaten by the dark nebula, you wont lose any protection, just you wont be able to reinforce that gleaming capital of yours with untouchable starfleets. What a shame. :mrgreen:
Fire, Fire, Fire;
Streaks of golden light,

Gifts of diamond rays,

Oddball
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I am contemplating expansion and trying to workout all the details. How do I know the planet I am contemplating for a sector capital is 250 ly away from my area? Is this 250 ly from the capital or 250 ly away from the edge of my empires territory? How is this accurately measured before taking the trip? Sorry for all the newbie questions.
TheBugKing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Oddball wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm
How do I know the planet I am contemplating for a sector capital is 250 ly away from my area? Is this 250 ly from the capital or 250 ly away from the edge of my empires territory? How is this accurately measured before taking the trip?

Around your Capital and Sector Capitals there is a white circle that designates the 250 ly range. Other SC's cannot be built within these circles. When you plan a new SC location it should be 175 ly away from the edge of your previous C/SC so as to allow for the maximum number of planets. If you do get it too close the circles will overlap, which is not a bad thing. Overlap allows for a more homogeneous empire, with few missing worlds.

You can accomplish this by building jumpship autofactories which are your jump beacons. When clicking on a jumpfleet of any sort, the jump area will stay lit while the non-jump area will become dark. If you need to move outside of the range of the jump beacon there are two ways.
1. Linkup your jumpships with a starship transport. We did this to slow down the game and decrease certain vulnerabilities.
2. Build a sector capital, wait a cycle for it to come online, build a new jumpbeacon and jump to your location you want.

1 and 2 are both viable options, but 2 is the only way to access the nebula with jumpships.

I am assuming by what you have said that you are Saviorian. In this case, it would be a good idea for you to build up explorer fleets, these don't need jumpbeacons, and then build some starships with accompaning jumpfleets and colonize the far side of the galaxy. Perhaps you can begin a dialog with your neighbors to allow uninhibited access to your little corner.

Hope that answered your questions and then some.
Fire, Fire, Fire;
Streaks of golden light,

Gifts of diamond rays,

Watch TV, Do Nothing
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

TheBugKing wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 1:41 am
So the thought came to me the other day, what happens to a starship fleet with accompanying jumpships if the starships all get blasted out of the sky in flight due to a jumpmissile barrage? If the fleet is located on world when they get anhilated in battle, the jumpships can be moved back to their worlds within the jumpbeacon area's. But what happens to the jumpships who are often on complex paths? Would they continue on at jumpship pace to the designated world or just freeze en route?
I had this same question when George first proposed jumpbeacons. I have not seen it actually happen in era 3 yet, but the beacon spec on Ministry says that the fleet will stop in space until they are given a new order.

TheBugKing wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 1:53 pm
You can accomplish this by building jumpship autofactories which are your jump beacons.
Small quibble - yards have beacons, but autofacs do not.
TheBugKing wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 1:53 pm
1. Linkup your jumpships with a starship transport. We did this to slow down the game and decrease certain vulnerabilities.
2. Build a sector capital, wait a cycle for it to come online, build a new jumpbeacon and jump to your location you want.
1 and 2 are both viable options, but 2 is the only way to access the nebula with jumpships.
If there is even one nebular world inside your beacon range, you can also buy 1000 Hammerheads or Cerberuses from Mesophon, send them into range of the beacon, link up the jumpfleet, and then send them off into the nebula. Now that direct transfer between fleets is possible, you don't even have to control a nebular world.
--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Updated.

Welcome to the galaxy, Oddball. Good luck!
TheBugKing
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Small quibble - yards have beacons, but autofacs do not.

Yeah thanks for the correction, bit of a typo!
Fire, Fire, Fire;
Streaks of golden light,

Gifts of diamond rays,

--Imperator--
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Watch TV, Do Nothing wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:30 am
Would it be a horrible idea to tout Anacreon somewhere like the 4X subreddit? On one hand it would be nice to see more players, on the other hand it's a) beta software and b) running on a server that probably can't support a ton of concurrent users.
Did we end up promoting this on the sub or not? I think there was a fairly recent thread asking for some light 4x game to run in the background. Perhaps that would be a good place to promote it?