New device category: "exposed" in addition to internal and external

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

An idea came to me while listening to the most recent Twitch session. What if there were an additional category, let's say "exposed", for devices/weapons that are side-mounted or on swivel mounts? They wouldn't be as vulnerable as fully external devices like patch spiders, but they also wouldn't be as secure as internal devices. This would mean that the Raijin's missile launcher, for instance, would still have a chance to be damaged, but that chance would be lower. This represents the device being partially armored.

I think this would be easy to implement and help resolve a few long-standing issues around external devices. What do you think?
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Lower chance of device damage is still fully vulnerable. This would be, in effect, indistinguishable from external. Probably end up getting questions which is which if implemented.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Fair point. I guess that's my actual idea, then: that external devices could have variable chances of being damaged. Perhaps this isn't so important.
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The 'exposed' weapons could be knocked out and need time to reboot and become operational again. This could be a period of time when either the weapon couldn't be used or did the misfiring thing. But the weapon wouldn't be permanently damaged.
It could start functioning again automatically or could be reenabled using the 'B' menu after the time period had passed.
Possibly use a capacitor display to show the time remaining to fully operational status. Or a objMessage showing "10 seconds to full function". Or something like that.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'd rather just have more ways to repair damaged devices (at a cost that's reasonable for important items but not financially beneficial).