The connection between part I and II.

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Amteloletom
Miner
Miner

I just hope that I could continue our adventure from part 1 to VoTG using the same ship, items, and devices that already in my ship. This is more likely the true continuation of the story, although this seems impossible to do.

Few questions and things across my mind while traveling in the vast galaxy about this continuation :

1. If we can use the Iocrym devices in part 1, is the Iocrym itself is categorized as alien or similar like a human? Because I already found the another Iocrym ship in VoTG, but not quite sure if it categorized as mechanist, bioship or archaeotech ship there (i hope you understand what I'm saying :( ).

2. I already bring three friends (Volkov, Jenna & Rama) to enter the Heretic gate, but none of
them appear in part 2. Maybe they were too late entering the gate just before the Iocrym deactivate it again. Who knows :?: . (I also feels bad about my companions devices. Its just absolutely no match for the alien technology).

3. My domina's power is gone. Maybe it not yet added into VoTG.

Maybe that's all for today. Sorry for the bad grammar. I hope the devs could look forward about this and expand the game universe. Great game.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

You can't use your existing ship from Part 1 in VOTG at this stage. Although it would be great to do that.

The Iocrym are indeed aliens. I didn't know there was an Iocrym ship in VOTG. That's exciting. Thanks for sharing that.

And none of the wingmen from Part 1 can cross to VOTG either. Normally they die or run away well before Heretic anyway.

I haven't seen any Domina powers code in VOTG but it might be there. It's a great idea. You could add a suggestion to the Ministry to have Domina powers in VOTG. https://ministry.kronosaur.com/program.hexm?id=1
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bringing most items from part 1 to part 2 would do little good since they are not one of the big three techs.

Iocrym use mechanist tech.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Havent played VOTG yet i think

I agree whit the suggestion your items should transfer to any new part. In fact, all your items should do so, including cans whit loot in Elisium for example.
In part I you enter the stargate.... and come out whit a full reset? that doesn't make much sense.

If you want to make new tech tree's, sure go ahead, build upon the old ones to make a transfer of sorts...

As for the storyline, we enter a gate in heretic on our way to the galactic core right? why would we be subject to a reset?
So if you actually reset, the continuation would be broken.

Why would the path already traveled (eridani to heretic systems) be gone after you enter a gate? should the path not just expant along whit the storyline and items and ect ect ect.
Sure there would be balance issues along whit maybe new or other types of credits, due to the 2nd part (the systems cut of in heretic) would not have been standing still in the period they where cut of from the starting systems* (*in this storyline, since the reverse is also true, heretic true eridany is cut of from rest of galaxcy and/or the 2nd part of systems)
2nd example you can make a new list of damage types from whitch all your previous gear is vulnarable, combine this whit the need to buy this new gear (to update) whit the new credits (saw euro and yang in EP for example) and you have mostley an effective reset whitout killing storyline and domina powers ect ect ect.

If in part 1 the jumpdrive could bring you to Elisium, should there not be also a new or other nexus in part 2?
Making it so that using jumpdrive on a gate in heretic true eridany yeilds Elisium, and using jumpdrive on a gate in 1st to last system in VOTG would make you appear in XXX for that part of the galaxy....

For what i am reading thus far about VOTG on these forums ... i am not impressed, altho i recentley bought CC and EP and am still busy whit several playtrue's, i would buy part II if it where any good, but now all indications show it as an broken storyline.... you jump true gate, and get a reset???? Oh NO-> Domina protect(s) me! ;-p
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It would be nice if you start VoTG to have a choice of finished SoTP games to take the ship layout of that particular game with you. Of course that would imply that most (lategame) items of SoTP must be incorporated in VoTG, or that there is a library dependency for that.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

To clarify my previous post, devices and armor in part 1 are "human tech". In part 2, there is only a single human station in the second system, and it is the only station that can service human tech, mostly refuel and repairs. As with part 1, part 2 has a gear treadmill. Unlike part 1, there are three main technologies the player can use in part 2: mechanist, biotech, and archaeotech. Since your import from part 1 does not use the big three techs, and none of the part 2 ships can use part 1 tech, your only upgrade option is to acquire a part 2 ship that uses one of the three techs. I noticed a mechanist version of Sapphire, presumably for possible conversion option instead of buying an Erebien ship, but ship conversion is not implemented beyond a few resources.

Bottom line, part 2 forces a reset soon after you start the game. Importing a ton of stuff from part 1 does not seem useful enough. Starter Sapphire in part 2 starts with the best items it could get (that are not quest rewards) from part 1. (It used to have Lamplighter, but was changed to plasma cannon because having Lamplighter would make "player killed Antarctica" canon by default.)
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Nah, it's not about items. Anything from Part I is woefully outgunned in Part II.

I think it's called breaking immersion or something like that. Gate out of Heretic and when you gate into Mourner you should be in the same ship. You are still on the same quest/journey/whatever. The items are irrelevant. I can't imagine the game can't handle recreating a Part I ship from info from Part I and using it in Part II. Complicated maybe, but worthwhile IMO.

@tiber: Your post made me laugh. You have only seen the bug reports for VOTG. If you'd seen the game you would be saying "WOW". Even in the current unfinished form its pretty awesome.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

relanat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 am
Nah, it's not about items. Anything from Part I is woefully outgunned in Part II.
Sure, sounds fun / challenging.
relanat wrote:
I think it's called breaking immersion or something like that. Gate out of Heretic and when you gate into Mourner you should be in the same ship. You are still on the same quest/journey/whatever.
Continuity error, discontinuity, game breaking, immerision breaking... whatever, yeah, that :'(
relanat wrote:
You are still on the same quest/journey/whatever. I can't imagine the game can't handle recreating a Part I ship from info from Part I and using it in Part II. Complicated maybe, but worthwhile IMO.
Complicated, maybe, probably even. Altho right now there is no indication part I would not be continued. For example;
A potential customer (cus that is what most of us are), now jumps true the end gate in heretic in part 1, decides to buy part 2 and get a major disappointment, one that is enough to leave the game probably.
relanat wrote:
@tiber: You have only seen the bug reports for VOTG. If you'd seen the game you would be saying "WOW". Even in the current unfinished form its pretty awesome.
Y sure, ill have a look soon enuf, currently finishing a playtrue whit a constelation in CC ( what a pain in the arse that ship ;-p ). Not the point of my efforts to make a post on forum tho...
relanat wrote:
@tiber: Your post made me laugh.
Glad to be of service ;-)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

From the last stream, George has implemented conversion of human tech Sapphire to mechanist Sapphire in part 2.

Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

relanat wrote:
If you'd seen the game you would be saying "WOW". Even in the current unfinished form its pretty awesome.

Well today i dit my first minirun of the game, and, u where right, it is pretty awesome. ^^
I like where this alpha is going, so George is making a nice peice of art from it.

AAR;
Went the bioship and in no-time it ruled all in sight, altho, at 50Gw i now had a problem that onley lvl 14 fuel was useable for me xD
These lvl 14 fuel are very rare in the first 5 systems, and i really have a problem fuelling now hahahaha ;-)
Also the ''grow'' from (40GW?? what was it? ) to 50Gw i noticed instantly my radar range had grown also (top right) thats a very nice addition to the game. I suggest a little bit of growt of radar range for every Growth u do.... well actually, maybe it dit, but i dint notice till 50Gw >.>

PS no god mode was needet btw, the starting balance looks fine, altho u rly need to know what ur doing. Hence i do not recommend this part II as ''The starting part'' especially for beginners.
Therefore i still recommend youl be allowed to use your ship / items from part 1 into part 2. These Meachanist race / style seems the choice of preference to intergrate your Part 1 items into as an basic resource. Since they (those) look mostly like the human tech originally from part 1.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

With some engine side modifications, we could probably write an xml file at the end of part 1 that functions like an optional extension for part 2. Basically a playership mod written on the fly that typCreates the part 1 content. I'm not sure how useful it would be though, since you want to switch ships early on anyway.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I doubt importing gear from part 1 will help much. What really makes starting in Mourner hard are the Reenu. Their weapons are very powerful (balanced as ammo weapons) and the Defenders are hard to kill with level 10 stuff. George has replaced most the defenders in the 1.9 branch with satellites that are easier to kill, but they still have the stingers that kill starting players with level 10 equipment quickly.

Basically, Reenu is almost like that Molotok in Rigel (during the 1.8 alpha/beta) that killed player with level 5 defenses in two or three salvoes of Dragonfly missiles, before George split it into Molotok/A (howitzer) and Molotok/B (dragonfly). Reenu satellites need a weapon that does not hit as hard as the Reenu stinger.

Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Neh i disagree, Reenu are ok and drop valuable goods (those stingers) that can be harvested for the new money type. The Grome are 2weak, they could use a buff. Especially when starting to bring in end game player ships from part 1.
Yes ships cus i plan to bring Jenna Rama and Volkov along for the ride... all the way to the core! (a system to update thier ships(gear) in both part 1 and 2 would hurt. Cus right now i buy a ship fit it, sell it and than buy it for wingmen -.- )
Currently the starting ship in part 2 is not something i would dare bring to the locrym end boss in heretic, it would simply not do.

As for jumping in to a new type of ship.. why? If part 1 gets an proper flow into part 2 (aka non-immersion breaking)u simply farm and/or save(items / new money) for one of those Mechanist reactors (15GW it was if i recall correctly?).

* Imo sure whit some spit and polish we can haul outa there ye old 1GW hyperion reactor and put in the shiny 15GW mechanist reactor. After that, we will take a look at how to upgrade this plasma spewing Ares artillery peice to be a honest dragon flamer! ;-)

* no okay seriously;

These Mechanists are just begging to be the CanDoItAll mix of all things, they got launchers artillery guns armors sheilds, the works that we'r used to in part 1. Not considering ''quick work'' to flap out yet another new start that is suppost to be an continuation from part 1. For part 2 an end game save file from part 1 should be the very minimum that is needet for u to get started whit part 2. I mean, what is the fun in yet another full reset? Especlialy now that there is groundwork on this fabrication style of mechanists.

I know it is still in alpha fase but still; i definitely would like to see this to be one strong storyline.. and why not?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If the goal of Mourner is part 2 Eridani, then yes, Reenu as they are, are too strong in the first system. Looting their hardware is no good if the playership is killed first. Good players can survive the increased difficulty, but someone not as good like George will die frequently. Stingers hit too hard (against starter ships) in the first system, and getting through shields of Defenders before they kill you is hard with starting equipment. Even with the new Reenu satellites, George had trouble killing them (thanks to bad aim) before his Sapphire was destroyed because the Stinger is very strong. The stinger itself is more-or-less balanced, but it appears too early for use as a default weapon for all Reenu mooks. The stinger would be fine for a Arco-like boss or the rare Centauri heavy raider counterpart in Mourner, but not for a common mook in Mourner. Maybe by Weir, stingers can become more common since player has a chance to upgrade by then.

Early Grome is weak, not unlike Centauri, which is fine. They could put up a bit more resistance, but for a first, tutorial-like system, it is better to err on too weak than too strong.

As for reactors, they are integrated into ships in part 2. Ships (of all three techs) in part 2 cannot swap reactors like in part 1. If you need a bigger reactor, you are expected to buy another ship with a bigger reactor (or grow your ship in case of biotech).

As for upgrading weapons from part 1, perhaps they can be broken down into components then rebuilt as a new weapon. Unfortunately, only the Remoras have the ripper, and you need some reputation to use it. George has acknowledged that and he may do something to make it more accessible to show off as many part 2 features as he can in Mourner.

Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Some may or may not be as good or use as many tricks as others to kill creep. Hence dying alot... y maybe, still dint post it for balance issue's, hence ill take your worth for it and close the issue.
What i dit post the last post for is:

Example and showing-casing off features is fine, especially when making part 2 a solo sold item.
The point of my posts is, that u dont need to reset a nice going of a game.
The so called immersion breaking / storyline breaking or whatever u call it, should not occur. Jumping out a gate in part 1 should not reset your ship to something random. When jumping out of Eridany u dont end up in a El500 if u started your game as an wolfy. Nor should u jump out of heretic in a manticore and end up in a sapphire.