Questions about saved games

Ask any question about playing and surviving in the Transcendence universe. Newbies welcome!
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Wait, what do you mean by factions - there are factions in the game already (Commonwealth, Centauri, Pirates, Corporations, etc).
Do you mean factional relationship with the player? Thats something that mostly isnt in the game and is sort of a trinary state rather than a scalar counter or other more complex representation. NAEV for example has that, but its still not a 4x either, because theres still no real empire building (Even if you combined EVNova's 'station conquest' endgame bonus challenge, its too shallow and primitive of an 'empire builder' to consider it a real empire building game/gamemode, as there is no dynamic reconquest of those systems, they remain permanently yours with 0 management required, and there is no interactivity with them beyond them being permanently friendly and paying you a weekly tax)

Anyways, as for the actual save game feature, like I mentioned, just go file a ticket on ministry and george can get to it when he does since theres plenty of other things on the priority list. Alternatively, file a ticket and then work on editing the engine code yourself and then leave george a pull request which you can link in the ticket for him to review. The game's source code is up on github.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
Zeke
Miner
Miner

Wolfy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:51 pm
Wait, what do you mean by factions - there are factions in the game already (Commonwealth, Centauri, Pirates, Corporations, etc).
Do you mean factional relationship with the player? Thats something that mostly isnt in the game and is sort of a trinary state rather than a scalar counter or other more complex representation. NAEV for example has that, but its still not a 4x either, because theres still no real empire building (Even if you combined EVNova's 'station conquest' endgame bonus challenge, its too shallow and primitive of an 'empire builder' to consider it a real empire building game/gamemode, as there is no dynamic reconquest of those systems, they remain permanently yours with 0 management required, and there is no interactivity with them beyond them being permanently friendly and paying you a weekly tax)
I know that player factions are not used in the game at present, but they could be. When you get hung up on "empire building" as the 4th X, you first have to define the concept of empire. Growth of a defined entity in power, influence, space, etc, for that entity need not be hamstrung on how you precisely define empire. I've run game faction forums since the rise MMO's. Trust me, that is all about creating an empire entity to dominate gameplay. Building up a player faction in game can easily be compared to empire building. Just because you have a paradigm about what you think an empire is doesn't mandate it. Helping an entity that the player is part of increase its power and influence is empire building.
Amteloletom
Miner
Miner

Yes, at the moment there is no way a player with a single ship could do that...without mods. As far as I know, there is a mod called YourCORP that allows the player to builds its own stations, such as Fuel station, Tinker, and more. From there you could profit from your own stations, and also has many features, So it's literally like building your own faction or empire. It's still didn't have some features that usually exist in empire-building games such as set diplomacy, allying with your enemy, or creating new items/stuff, also it has few minor bugs and needs to be updated, but I'm pretty sure it's still working right now.

Maybe that thing is what you want or need, or if it doesn't, at least you can have more experience from playing this game. :)
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

@NMS. Thanks for the bat file code. Much easier than changing the properties on a short-cut for every game folder. Nice one. Also I'll attach a bat file to the 'How to start debug mode' topic.

@ Zeke. Valid points there. Thanks for bringing them up. I used to copy saves when I was playing. The fact that the first two replies knew what you were talking about tells us something.
Protecting canon is a double edged blade.
Too true. Change can be good too.

George has opened a Ministry topic about game changes to benefit new players. Feel free to add your input there.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Zeke
Miner
Miner

relanat wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:39 am
George has opened a Ministry topic about game changes to benefit new players. Feel free to add your input there.
I will once I've played it longer. I'm still seeing several things I question about, but might need to play through longer to see if it resolves or balances out. And maybe some issues are better left to mods instead of core code. IE: seeing 3 resmeister(sp) weapon shops in one system and one in the next, but basically no other useful vendors. Perhaps random generation needs a tweak or a matrix. But I'll hold off until I see it all play out before criticizing something that works out in the end.

But yeah, I do see a way at least one way to make the game appeal to other types of players and still leave the diehard permadeath types alone to play their style.
Tiber
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

wow folks, lots of text and miscommunication in this thread

he asks for:
1; a standard save / load system, (disregarding permadeath)
2; not making this THE standard, but rather the noob option ( a little box whit the V checked for new players / customers, in relation to a better beginner experience (something that has been suggested before i might at)) to avoid the ''tricks'' of not keeping to permadeath
3; an Ironman mode where permadeath actually means, permanent.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Tiber wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:57 pm
3; an Ironman mode where permadeath actually means, permanent.
I just stumbled on this recently. There is a force permadeath option in the Settings.xml. It is off by default, but when enabled, you cannot resurrect in the games you died in.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Something that might be really helpful would be a GUI in the game itself to access and change Settings.xml stuff, preferably with some kind of explanation of what those settings actually do. The current setting requires that you know what the settings are and that the file exists to change them in to begin with.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Something that might be really helpful would be a GUI in the game itself to access and change Settings.xml stuff, preferably with some kind of explanation of what those settings actually do. The current setting requires that you know what the settings are and that the file exists to change them in to begin with.
I strongly support this! It would be simple to implement, and I think it would be an improvement for both gameplay and modding across the board.

(Activating debug mode would be another obvious use for a settings.xml GUI: https://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic. ... 411#p77411)
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
giantcabbage
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

AssumedPseudonym wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 pm
There is a ministry ticket on improvements for new players. I've already mentioned a settings GUI, but an extra vote would be useful!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

…Oh right, that ticket does exist. I’d forgotten about it when I posted my own ticket… <.< >.> <.<;

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)