Elemental Shift (Alpha)

Post about your finished mods here.
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Oh my gosh, a public release finally! Yay! Congratulations! I will give this a whirl soon.
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Updated to 0.97.7
-Tweaks to attempt hand-balancing of SEM series missiles and the M5 (At least until George has a go at fixing the balance algorithm)
-Corrected a regression in Tinker Lamarr's crafting system
-Removed recipe for RMH armor
-Various efforts to fight the balancing algorithm and get the dual Delta weapons to work appropriately (I'm probably going to have to completely redo these, fair warning).
-Various minor fixes and typo corrections.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Updated to 0.97.8

-Fixed one of the buyable sothos not having a reactor
-You can no longer use field maintenance kits on the QAC to repair it
-Added tenhove ECM systems: tenhove autons (in new games) will now redirect incoming guided missiles towards themselves to protect their 'parent'. This applies to both NPC autons and ones operated by the player. This currently happens with a 100% success rate, but they'll eventually have a % chance to succeed. This is very much a work-in-progress feature.
-Fixed freeworlds selling items for less money than they'd buy them for
-Adventurer Outfitters uses the modern graphic, not the legacy one
-Removed legacy internals repair code now it's in core (need to actually make sure it's being used once ShipClassOverride works more effectively.
-Tenhove and Omnidefense dealers cannot appear in the Tau Ceti starting cluster, preventing situations where a non-constellation pilot has three auton dealers right off the bat.
-Version number now appears in the mod title so you can actually see it ingame.
-Various typos and minor fixes

To expand on the Tenhove changes: This is a modified version of the Dwarg redirect code, done by AssumedPseudonym. When a missile gets within 20ls of a tenhove auton, a virtual point defense fires. This checks if it's guided. If it is, then if it's aimed at the player/thing the auton is attached to. If it is, it retargets it at the auton. This currently cannot fail (other than through saturation of the underlying point device unit), because we couldn't get a percentage chance system working. So it will be...probably more than a little overpowered now, countered by it potentially destroying your autons very quickly. Feedback on this is welcomed: currently it's on all Tenhove autons, but it may be viable to swap it to only a handful of special types, then seeding those into the relevant guard tables. These changes will only affect newly created Tenhove autons, existing ones will not be upgraded.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

From 0.97.8.See attached images:
The ship stats display for the Bandicoot needs text formatting on the RHS. Needs a llne break IIRC between the "mass:" line and the reactor section. Also seen in the Belger but that was in 0.97.5.

The Bogatyr reactor puts up an excessive fuel rating (0-14000000000000). This is from 0.97.5 but 0.97.8 shows 190 billion or so.

Good mod, well worth the effort you put in.
Attachments
bog reactor.jpg
bog reactor.jpg (40.61 KiB) Viewed 89840 times
bandicoot text format.jpg
bandicoot text format.jpg (95.55 KiB) Viewed 89840 times
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The reactor fuel level display is an engine bug, actually. Aury and I also run into it in TSB and TBR. If a reactor’s fuel criteria doesn’t include a level, the display spits out garbage data for the levels it can accept. Since the Bogatyr can’t bei refueled, there’s no level criteria involved, just an attribute criteria. …Which, if memory serves, is something like, “ThereISNoFuelForThisReactorMwaHaHaHaHa”. Which is totally my fault since I did most of the coding for the Bogatyr line. <.< >.> <.<; Aury and I both have reactors that require specific attributes on fuel, but no level requirement; those reactors have the same issue. George knows about it.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Cheers, I figured that was what was happening but thought it best to document it.

The Ronin playerships have the same text format/line break bug in the ship specification screen as the Belger and Bandicoot.

Typo in the item description for the slabs of borated polyethylene:
commponly
-->
commonly

And I'm guessing that the Freeworld stations don't have 'rpgDestroyItems' in the <OnDestroy> element.
I accidentally made one station angry (the one that looks like an Anarchist Settlement) so decided to blow it up. There was lots of loot and only one damaged item in the station wreck.
A very nice payoff though, if it was intentional.

Probably a good idea to make the ES bug thread public so glitches don't get repeatedly reported.

I have no idea how you have managed to get so much content into just 38MB. I haven't got past Rigel yet and am amazed at how much is in this mod. I particularly like the way you have added the ES weapons to the Himals so they act as an ammo resupply source instead of just relying on buying ammo from stations. Very clever.
Attachments
boro.jpg
boro.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 89820 times
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

relanat wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:14 am
Probably a good idea to make the ES bug thread public so glitches don't get repeatedly reported.
There is a known issues section of the OP. Currently I don't really have the time to work out setting up Ministry effectively.

The line-break issue is a core bug, can't be fixed on my end.

Patch for some other issues is incoming shortly.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Updated to 0.97.9

- Replaced graphics for the Sovereign Domain with new models by AssumedPseudonym
- Renamed the Sovereign Domain destroyer to the Glorious-class
- Courageous-class frigate now has its performance baked into the hull, but can still drop fusion drives
- Minor tweaks to SD gunship classes (Liberty, Loyalty, Integrity)
- New Sovereign stations will be more widely spaced since graphics are larger (note: this still requires fine-tuning).
- Freeworlds now destroy items properly when their stations go boom
- Diamond Lattice armors are no longer military
- Fixed various typos and balance issues
The new-look Courageous. Just as deadly, slightly faster, and a lot prettier than the old one.
The new-look Courageous. Just as deadly, slightly faster, and a lot prettier than the old one.
SovereignCourageousHero.png (66.15 KiB) Viewed 89782 times

The Sovereign Domain will be getting further changes later on, but this gets the graphics up to a really nice standard.

Development is going to slow significantly: I am now in full-time employment.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

…Technically, the models are George’s. I just kitbashed them.

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've been informed that this version appears to have some sort of mysterious and catastrophic crash bug. Neither I nor AssumedPseudonym have been able to work out out, so if you haven'y downloaded the latest version please don't until we can work out the problem. It is proving very hard to do so, unfortunately.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well that was fun. We don't know why it was hitting this specific version, but it was boiling down to the mod using a deprecated image resource. If you had something pulling your savegame below API52 it would work, if you didn't it would crash every time and do some weird things on the side as well.

Fortunately, that was an easy fix and it also showed some other minor bugs that could be cleaned up at the same time, and so:

Updated to 0.97.10

-Game no longer crashes spectacularly when you try running it on a fresh install/without a different mod pulling you into API51 or lower. (I hope it doesn't anyway)
-Strela configuration code fixed so it works properly (this is a very subtle visual effect only and does not alter weapon performance)
-Removed duplicate UNIDs (this shouldn't break saves, but I'm not certain about that)

This version should work with old saves, though I'm not *entirely* certain about that.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

So. Fun story about that whole thing.

I downloaded 0.97.9 and put it into Song’s sub-folder in my Extensions folder. Fired up Transcendence to double-check how the ships looked. They’re still on the old graphics. I made a fresh install of the game and put a copy of Elemental Shift in the Extensions folder, and even remembered to put a copy of Corporate Command in to the Collection folder. I went to start a new game so I could make the mod active, and there’s an unknown type error on the Troglav image, of all things. Cue VisibleConfusion.jpg reaction. Anyway, clearing the error kicks me back to the intro screen, but Elemental Shift is loaded now. Tried to pull up the Loyalty.

Insert game crash here.

So I tried again, got the same result, and reported my findings to Song. She repeats my steps and sure enough, crashes for her, too. Her development copy was working fine, though, so something weird was definitely happening. She eventually worked out that she was pulling from a deprecated image, as she stated above, and fixing that sorted everything out so that everything loaded just fine. No more crash. I tested it on my fresh install and confirmed that it worked for me, too, at which point I copied 0.97.10 into my main install of the game to go check Sovereign.

They’re still still on the old graphics.

Turns out that I had a redundant copy of 0.97.7 in my Extensions folder that wasn’t in Song’s sub-folder. Guess which one the game was recognizing.

tl;dr: I did something dumb several weeks ago. Today, I found a really nasty bug because of it.

Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I've reuploaded 0.97.10 to fix a minor problem with the Loyalty-class having an extra thruster in the wrong place (courtesy of bad copy-pasting). If you've previously downloaded the version you can either do it again or wait for the next one, it's nothing critical.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Updated to 0.97.11

-Fixed another image error on the Troglav
-Sovereign Domain citadels should now have better loot, fewer reinforcements
-Adjusted the distribution of separatist stations
-Separatist stations should have better loot now
-Adjusted distribution of SD outposts
-Adjusted distribution of lategame Commonwealth mining colonies
-Lategame commonwealth mining colonies now use a TeV9 rather than a mining weapon.
Alandra
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hi Song, thanks for all your hard work here! What a variety of ships, items, sovereigns, equipment!

The difficulty was sometimes surprising. Getting toasted by the Himal early on when I thought I was well-equipped made me lol and play more slowly. "Why are my stilettos taking so long to reach them? Oh, I'm dead." Later on, some souped-up Kobol warlords devoured me quite unexpectedly.

I see that your custom mission scripting sometimes means things fail to trigger. On the Sandoval scanning mission, no marauders appeared. On the Ion9 fetch-quest, the new "Dvalin-valuable" tag did not appear on any items.

The sheer variety of ammo can be confusing, although ammo availability seems fairly well balanced. One exception was the BEL, which I had a very hard time finding ammo for. I believe there was only one Bushido vendor in the outer realm, and the fleet carriers couldn't re-arm me, so I had to rely on a Teraton fabricator.

I found 50 gaian nano cannons in a processor wreck. =) Probably not supposed to happen, but I greatly appreciated it, bc the credits and rin allowed me to try out more of the new equipment. I found the cannon itself surprisingly mediocre for a level 9 weapon of an unresisted damage type.

Anywho, I hope this helps.
Curious about real-life aliens? www.antareanjourneys.com