The Backroads — an alternate route

Planning, discussion, release and support of registered extensions, libraries, adventures and other content is here.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:12 am

The NAMI launchers are a placeholder pending a dedicated Beasts launcher being designed.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)

Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:36 am

Is there a preliminary playable mission chain or unique events that I can access?

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:57 am

Not as yet. I keep finding ways to get around starting on missions. I’m highly skilled when it comes to procrastination. <.< >.> <.<;

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)

AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:32 am

When I first started making TBR, all I had were ships left over from an abandoned project (from back when ship rotation was measured in ticks per frame) and a few vague ideas for factions. I had no idea what I was going to do with the Lambda Coalition at that time, but a friend who, ironically, has never even played the game suggested they be made into a mercenary faction. I liked the idea.

There was, however, a problem, and it’s why Lambda Agencies currently have a non-functional option to hire wingmen: I’ve never really been sure just how I should implement said wingmen. I mean, setting up wingmen seems like it should be straightforward enough, but how long should they stick with you? Indefinitely? Until you gate? A certain amount of time? Should they just charge you every so many ticks until you run out of funds or [C]ommunicate orders to leave?

My solution came about on the Discord server last night, inspired by an almost entirely unrelated comment by Derakon. Instead of setting up wingman coding for them, have the kiosk in the Agency dispense single-use ROMs corresponding to different Lambda ship classes. Target a ship or station, [U]se the ROM, and Lambda will send out the appropriate ship class to attack the object.

There will be a few caveats on calling for a Lambda ship. Calling a Tau to take on a Chasm? Lambda pilots are adventurous, not suicidal. You won’t get a “target acquired” acknowledgement, you’ll get a return message along the lines of, “Kack, I don’t get paid enough for this!” Similarly, calling for an Upsilon to attack a Hammerhead will net you a message along the lines of, “Don’t waste my time with this sort of thing!” Also, calling a Lambda ship to attack another Lambda ship will get a refusal message such as, “You didn’t read the fine print, did you.” All cases will result in you burning the ROM you bought.

The basic coding should be fairly straight forward, but there are still details to work out. ROM pricing and availability is going to be a balance issue, but I’m currently leaning toward an unlimited supply of ROMs with a very hefty price tag and possibly ship availability limited by system (though that might be redundant with the aforementioned caveats in place). I’m considering giving the ROMs a notrandom frequency so that they can only be purchased via Lambda — no finding a Theta ROM and saving it for beating up the Phobos you’ve been tasked with destroying. And, of course, the fun part is going to be tracing whatever the summoned mercenaries do back to the player, so you can’t just sic a Kappa on a Corporate Enclave and have the Hierarchy turn a blind eye to what you did.

Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:43 pm

I think each mercenary ship upon death should drop a ROM of the target and the sender. Also, the player should be able to hire multiple mercenaries from one ROM against a single target. This would allow for mercenaries to deal with a much larger and dangerous target.