Fuel efficiency for starting ships

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:47 am

I calculated how long it takes each starting ship to consume 10 helium fuel rods. This assumes: shields are always recharging, primary weapons is always firing, and the ship is always thrusting. Here's the result (in real seconds):

Sapphire 278
EI500 192
Wolfen 167

Constellation 147
Freyr 192
Manticore 162

Hercules 278
Spartan 143
Raijin 164

A few observations:

1. I think it is OK for the Wolfen (a gunship) to consume so much fuel, but I think that should be the limit for starting ships. The Manticore, Constellation, and Spartan are all less efficient, and might need some changes.

2. The Constellation, in particular, seems to consume power very fast (it lasts about half as long as a Sapphire). The Moskva light turret consumes 5 MW. Maybe the Constellation should start with a different omni weapon, either an omni laser or maybe we create an omni light recoilless.

3. The Manticore is as inefficient as the Wolfen, but with worse weapons. Its armor regeneration is 3 MW. Perhaps it should be lower?

4. The Spartan is also clearly consuming too much power (it is even worse than the Constellation), due to the hull plate ionizer (4 MW). Maybe we need a different shield?

5. I think the Raijin and the Freyr are OK (at least in terms of power consumption).

What do you all think?

NMS
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 am

Players generally spend a lot more time traveling and in dockscreens than fighting, so the standby power use is more important. That's much more heavily weighted towards shields' power use.

george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:34 pm

NMS wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 am
Players generally spend a lot more time traveling and in dockscreens than fighting, so the standby power use is more important. That's much more heavily weighted towards shields' power use.
In that case the Manticore should be pretty efficient: it doesn't consume power when armor does not need to be repaired. Is that consistent with people's experience?